System Firmware update

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by kristalsoldier, Jan 15, 2015.

1. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Hi all...

Today, my SP3 received a system firmware update (15/1). It installed all fine etc. but I could not find any specifics about what this update was all about. Any ideas in case you folks have received it too?

Cheers!

2. rquellet

rquellet Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I just installed the update. No issues so far.

Update - here's the official changelog:
    http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history
    January 2015 updates
    The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 1/15/2015” when you view your update history.
    • Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.11.450.0) adds support for updated HD Graphics Family driver.
    • HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4029) enhances display stability and performance, improves user experience when using Miracast adapters. Improves compatibility with DisplayPort monitors and daisy chaining.
    • Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3073.151) addresses connectivity issues while Hyper-V is enabled. Adds an advanced feature to control the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band preference.
    • Surface Home Button driver update (v2.0.1179.0) ensures compatibility with the Surface Hub app.
    • Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device driver update (v1.31.35.7) improves the user experience while using the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station so that sound is available when a speaker is not connected to the docking station.

One of the new features is the ability to manually specify 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connections in the WiFi driver settings. See this post for more info:
    http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/specify-2-4-or-5-ghz-wifi-bands-on-surface-pro-3.13762/

The Intel Graphics driver has been updated to version 10.18.14.4029 (11/18/2014 build). I think the previous graphics driver was pretty old - 10.18.10.3496 (3/7/2015 build), so this could provide a good boost in graphics performance/efficiency. I've been running the Intel reference graphics drivers for a while now anyway though.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    kristalsoldier and VickiFL like this.
  3. VickiFL

VickiFL Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I literally just now downloaded, and installed the latest firmware update.

4. dmillerzx

dmillerzx New Member

Epic fail, the Intel Driver Update apparently breaks the MWDA (Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter) MS's own miracast device. Just wow!

Confirmed works fine when rolling back driver 10.18.10.3496 or when using the latest from Intel 10.18.14.4080

5. benjitek

benjitek Active Member

My Device:
    SPro2
  6. Cask

Cask Member

It works fine in mine I can project my screen to my Samsung TV without any problems after the update

7. goodintentions

goodintentions Active Member

All I know is the firmware update solved my wifi issues with hyper-v.

8. JimB

JimB Member

And solved my wifi hibernate issues without hyper-v. finally..

9. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    ptrkhh and PCAnyWhere like this.
  10. mohcho

mohcho Active Member

I updated to firmware and it broke the MWDA for ALL the drivers I have on my SP3. I've reverted to the original drivers and no go.

This is kind of annoying with the MWDA. Works great with my phone, but not the SP3.

11. mohcho

mohcho Active Member

I do have to admit that the wifi speeds are super fast now and they have FINALLY resolved the wifi hibernate problem. Yay.. fix a few things, break another.

12. agt499

agt499 Member

In my case the HD Graphics update has now fixed Displaylink, which had been busted since about August. It was fixable with the drivers direct from Intel, but I was under the (misguided? correct?) impression that the MS-blessed version had (something) better optimised.
    Seems a good update if you don't have a MWDA...