What's new

Taskbar Icon Removal

leahtt

I have a Surface Pro 2 and have been installing programmes. (I love the computer by the way.)
One of the programmes I installed was Golden FTP and as I liked Cyberduck better, I removed Golden FTP following the instructions in the Microsoft guide.

I still have this pesky little icon named GFTP.exe in the Notifications Area Icons. It is listed but does not actually show on my Taskbar, but I wonder why it is listed after I removed the programme.

My question is, how do I remove it!

I have done a search for it but nothing comes up, and I have been looking for it in the C drive, to no avail.

All help appreciated.

OP
L

leahtt

Might be worth giving this a try:

Clicky

As long as you're comfortable with the registry - always back it up first though!

Thanks for your help. I read the comments as well as the information at the link. I will need to think about it as I am new to Windows and need to do the backup first.

oion

Maybe this: Search from the Charms bar for "taskbar." Select "Customize icons on the taskbar." From there, you can search for the icons listed and select show/hide/etc. This won't actually remove the leftover bits from the system but will at least hide them, if you don't want to deal with registry hacking or whatever yet.

OP
L

leahtt

Maybe this: Search from the Charms bar for "taskbar." Select "Customize icons on the taskbar." From there, you can search for the icons listed and select show/hide/etc. This won't actually remove the leftover bits from the system but will at least hide them, if you don't want to deal with registry hacking or whatever yet.

I had already Customised the Task Bar, but the icon still shows up in the list. However, your suggestion of doing a search is a help.
I will call the Microsoft help tomorrow as it is free for two years when you purchase a Surface Pro 2. If they can help I will report back.

OP
L

leahtt

I rang Microsoft help and in the end the help person talked me through restoring the OS. I had to reinstall my own software but it got rid of the nasty GFTP.exe in the notifications. Surprisingly my settings and background preferences were still there.
Thanks for the suggestions.