What's new

Taskbar on Modern app: bug or feature?

So I've noticed lately that if I pull my mouse all the way down to the bottom of the SP3 screen, when running a modern app, NY desktop taskbar comes up.

If I'm using touch only, this doesn't happen, just with a mouse.

Bug or feature?

Michael

malberttoo

So I've noticed lately that if I pull my mouse all the way down to the bottom of the SP3 screen, when running a modern app, NY desktop taskbar comes up.

If I'm using touch only, this doesn't happen, just with a mouse.

Bug or feature?

Michael

I have definitely confirmed that as "some" kind of feature, i.e. "by design". It annoys me though.

malberttoo

At this point it sounds to me like a bug.

When I'm in Metro IE, surfing away, and I run the pointer to the bottom of the screen in order to pull up the navigation menu, often times the Desktop taskbar will appear instead. I can't remember the reason exactly, but Jeff did say it was "by design".

Antitoon

It's a feature introduced with Windows 8.1 Update (link), which should make it easier to switch between Metro and desktop applications. It was also with that update that Metro apps started to have a title bar (only shown if you go there with the mouse), and to appear in the taskbar, first they would only be visible in the "swipebar" at the left.

I believe this makes totally sense, especially if it doesn't happen on touch only.

ctitanic

When I'm in Metro IE, surfing away, and I run the pointer to the bottom of the screen in order to pull up the navigation menu, often times the Desktop taskbar will appear instead. I can't remember the reason exactly, but Jeff did say it was "by design".
I'm to lasy to find a house to replicate the issue. I'm a pen user ;)

So if Jeff said it's a feature, it's a feature.:cool:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Update 1 added this to give more consistency for traditional mouse and keyboard users.

malberttoo

Update 1 added this to give more consistency for traditional mouse and keyboard users.

Which I'm ok with, I just wish I could figure out what exactly invokes it. 90% of the time I bump the bottom of the screen with the mouse pointer and click, and IE's navigation comes up. The rest of the time the taskbar comes out, and I haven't figured out yet what specific action makes it appear.

Which I'm ok with, I just wish I could figure out what exactly invokes it. 90% of the time I bump the bottom of the screen with the mouse pointer and click, and IE's navigation comes up. The rest of the time the taskbar comes out, and I haven't figured out yet what specific action makes it appear.
same here, doesn't seem consistent. also, seems to ignore your auto hide setting ...I have my auto hide setting for the toolbar turned off, but the taskbar on the metro screen acts as auto hide anyway.

personally I don't like having a toolbar appear on a modern app. I think it makes the bottom of the screen too unpredictable..ie will you access the options for the current app, or will the toolbar come up, getting in the way, for example. also, if I want to get to the desktop, there was already a way to do this. would definitely like a way to turn the toolbar off on metro app.