What's new

Solved Terrible Internet Speed in Windows 10

Arizona Willie

In Windows 8.1 I get over 65 Mbps download.
In Windows 10 I get 1 - 5 Mbps download.

Have no idea why it is sooooo bad.

I have disabled wireless adapters and reenabled and < sometimes > it will work ok ONCE and then the next time it is dead in the water again.

Anyone else having problems with Internet Speed in Windows 10?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Willie,

Seems your experience is running counter to most others, whom report that performance is as good or better in Windows 10 Build 9926 over Windows 8.1 .

So let's start working on this for you, to get you fixed up:
1. Is your Windows 10 version Technical Preview 9926?
2. If so, is your OneDrive "Processing changes" or transferring files, or "Up to date"?
3. Are you on precisely the same WiFi, including frequency, and your physical location precisely the same place as your previous 65Mbps experience?
4. Do you have Bluetooth devices streaming content (such as music) during the test?

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Yes it is TP 9926.

Dunno about One Drive but it was doing it all day.

I'm using the same computer just swapping drives.
I have one SSD with Windows 8.1 and one with Windows 10.
I just disconnect one drive and plug in the other one and boot up.
So it is using exactly the same router and modem and cables.

No Bluetooth devices streaming. Using a wireless mouse with dongle a Logitech G 602 progammable mouse.
Darn computer does seem my phone and even the Bravia UHD tv in the living room but I'm not using it for either of them.
They both are set to be findable though, obviously.

Hook up the W10 drive and go to speedtest.net and get 1-5 Mbps down and almost nothing up.
Hook up the W 8.1 drive and go to speedtest.net and get 65Mbps down and 22 up ( sometimes not quite that much up ).
========

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
/scratching head

Anybody else lurking around here running Windows 10 TP 9926 from an external drive?

Meanwhile, Willie, can you somehow connect directly to your router using an Ethernet cable, and see if you are speedy?
Trying to isolate any wireless issues from wired, and network issues from Windows.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I < am > connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. :)

But it isn't an external drive ... I haven't installed W10 on my tablet, this is on my desktop with multiple drives installed.
There are two external drives. One E-sata drive for data storage and one NAS drive which is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

The connections seem to be very fast. My backup program makes a new backup of approx 72 GB every night at 6 pm and it only takes 20 minutes to do it. I was amazed how fast it was. But I haven't made a W10 backup yet.

Being it's on a spare SSD I can format it and start over if I needed to and I keep the two OS's isolated by only having one at a time hooked up.
I see I am not the only one with Internet problems with W10 in the Microsoft Insider Forum where they want us to post our problems with W10.

I asked about this problem here because I get better answers here than at Microsoft Forums. Their people there just cut and paste instructions that have little / nothing to do with the problem and when you say ' that didn't work ' they just post the same crap all over again.

I don't know how the hell they keep their jobs.
==============================

/scratching head

Anybody else lurking around here running Windows 10 TP 9926 from an external drive?

Meanwhile, Willie, can you somehow connect directly to your router using an Ethernet cable, and see if you are speedy?
Trying to isolate any wireless issues from wired, and network issues from Windows.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I < am > connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. :)

But it isn't an external drive ... I haven't installed W10 on my tablet, this is on my desktop with multiple drives installed.
There are two external drives. One E-sata drive for data storage and one NAS drive which is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

The connections seem to be very fast. My backup program makes a new backup of approx 72 GB every night at 6 pm and it only takes 20 minutes to do it. I was amazed how fast it was. But I haven't made a W10 backup yet.

Being it's on a spare SSD I can format it and start over if I needed to and I keep the two OS's isolated by only having one at a time hooked up.
I see I am not the only one with Internet problems with W10 in the Microsoft Insider Forum where they want us to post our problems with W10.

I asked about this problem here because I get better answers here than at Microsoft Forums. Their people there just cut and paste instructions that have little / nothing to do with the problem and when you say ' that didn't work ' they just post the same crap all over again.

I don't know how the hell they keep their jobs.
==============================
Since this a desktop machine, what Ethernet Card is you machine using? How is it configured? Does it support Full Duplex? Are there updated drivers?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... I haven't installed W10 on my tablet, this is on my desktop ...

Okay. Not on a Surface, but a desktop PC. I am suspecting that your network adapter does not have proper drivers yet for Windows 10, or that your adapter itself has poor settings.

Do you have IPv6 enabled on that network adapter? Try turning that off, then logging off and back on.
Let s know.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well it has correct drivers for W8.1 for the network adapter --- but it is very possible that W10 will need a DIFFERENT adapter driver. The adapter I'm using is an Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection.
There are several adapters on this motherboard besides that one but it seemed to work the best under W8.1.
Mysteriously, this morning I see a bunch of WAN Miniport's listed that I haven't seen before. Or at least I never noticed them. Don't know what they are for.

But all works well under W8.1 it's just when I connect up a C drive with W10 that the connections go to hell so I would think the problem was with the drivers in W10.

I probably need to check with ASUS to see if there are any new drivers out for W10 --- but I doubt it.
They really aren't supporting this motherboard much anymore. It is probably 5 or 6 years old.
They just want you to buy a new one.

Since it is an Intel unit it may be possible that Intel has a driver, but again I doubt it because of the age of the adapter and motherboard.

Most manufacturers aren't in any big hurry to produce new drivers because they would be shooting at a moving target until they get W10 closer to public release in final form.

I've seen people talking about release 9986 but it hasn't come in yet via the official update.

I do see many other people having problems with the Internet and W10 so I might as well wait and not devote a lot of effort to getting something working that is possibly going to change again next month.

I do all real work in W8.1 anyway ---- for now. I just poke around and play with W10 and see what it looks like.
Just getting familiar with it.

As for the IPv6, my ISP hasn't enabled that yet. They are behind the times.
So I have that disabled.
===============
Okay. Not on a Surface, but a desktop PC. I am suspecting that your network adapter does not have proper drivers yet for Windows 10, or that your adapter itself has poor settings.

Do you have IPv6 enabled on that network adapter? Try turning that off, then logging off and back on.
Let s know.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I'm in W10 now on the desktop and I just changed network adapters to the Realtek adapter.
No change.

Another strange thing. I fired up my Surface Pro I and checked the speed and with W10 running the SPI internet connection is hosed too!!

It must be affecting the router / modem somehow because the SP is connecting wirelessly to the router and it is just as slow as the desktop under W10.
There was an update came in awhile ago that took about an hour to get because of the slow speed. In fact, it hung up several times and just plain quit downloading and I had to exist and restart the computer to get it to resume.

But now I am going to change back to the Intel Network adapter since changing to the Realtek adapter didn't make any difference.

Hmm, even though there was an update the build number on the desktop is still the same.

I forgot to check with ASUS to see if there is new firmware for the router for W10, but I doubt it.

Was surprised that it killed the SP's internet wireless connection.
When I switch back to W8.1 everything will be fine again.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well, this morning I got an update to Defender in W10.
That is the only update I got.
Mysteriously it fixed the broken Internet!!!
After the update my connection went to 65Mpbs down and 20 Mbps up just like it should be and has been under W8.1.
Yesterday evening it was 1-5 Mbps down and .4 Mbps up under W10.
The only thing that changed was the update to Defender.

Defender must have been rejecting packets thinking they were viruses / virii.

Question is why EVERYONE didn't have the same problem.

Oh well, it's working now.

Just hoping it continues.