What's new

testing new SP4

woodenbowls

just got an i5 128GB SP4, its all updated from windows update

since i've been reading people having issues, is there some tests to do to check if my new device has any problems ?

I would just make sure you do all the system updates. The newest update for Surface came out about two weeks ago and corrected pretty much all the issues people was complaining about.

Yillbs

I would just make sure you do all the system updates. The newest update for Surface came out about two weeks ago and corrected pretty much all the issues people was complaining about.

I think they want you to think it fixed most of the problems. The main problem was battery drain during SLEEP state. They still did nothing for overall poor battery performance for most people .

dcoplien

I am still having "display driver has stopped working". When the new Samsung tablet is released, if reviewers aren't having all these problems, I will be getting one and use my SP4 as a backup.

Yillbs

I am still having "display driver has stopped working". When the new Samsung tablet is released, if reviewers aren't having all these problems, I will be getting one and use my SP4 as a backup.

Why that's not something related to the surface pro 4, seems a bit silly to spend so much money on hardware to replace hardware that's not broken?

dcoplien

Why that's not something related to the surface pro 4, seems a bit silly to spend so much money on hardware to replace hardware that's not broken?
Luckily the cost isn't a problem for me. I am still using my old tablet on the road as I can't have one that keeps locking up when I use it in a presentation. If there is a fix before Samsungs is out (and tested by the public), then I will have no reason to buy another. I was surprised the update didn't fix the problem.

Yillbs

A fix for what though? Even with money aside, you want to get something else to replace a problem that doesn't exist for the surface pro 4. You are mentioning the driver problems, so i presume you mean the WINDOWS ( Software ) drivers that are not functioning properly. This happens on my XPS 12 from dell as well, it's not isolated to just the SP4, it can't be, it's not a hardware issue. My question is why buy new hardware to replace hardware that's not faulty ? Other than, " I want to " ?

dcoplien

A fix for what though? Even with money aside, you want to get something else to replace a problem that doesn't exist for the surface pro 4. You are mentioning the driver problems, so i presume you mean the WINDOWS ( Software ) drivers that are not functioning properly. This happens on my XPS 12 from dell as well, it's not isolated to just the SP4, it can't be, it's not a hardware issue. My question is why buy new hardware to replace hardware that's not faulty ? Other than, " I want to " ?
I upgraded my old tablet to Win 10 and it has no problem with the display driver.....and as I said if they get the problem fixed soon, I won't buy another tablet but if they don't I will.

Yillbs

I upgraded my old tablet to Win 10 and it has no problem with the display driver.

That's likely because not all drivers are created equally. i have a windows 10 device with no driver problems as well, and others i have ( yoga 900 ), can't watch videos in edge, and the display driver constantly crashes. On my XPS 12, the drivers are always crashing, and the websites flicker ( also using edge ), in fact, the one with the least amount of problems is probably my SP4, that's still besides the point. you're basically saying because of software the SP4 is flawed, it can't be, that's not how it works. You would , based on this logic of yours, need to go to a new operating system. Even if every device you received worked fine, the flaw is still in the software, not the hardware.

Just in case your confused.
Software issues can be resolved by updates / changes in code, i think you know this because you mentioned " waiting ".
Hardware issues can not be resolved by updates / code, without buying new hardware.

with that said, I still don't understand the justification for blaming a physical tangible object for poorly written drivers for an operating system.

dcoplien

That's likely because not all drivers are created equally. i have a windows 10 device with no driver problems as well, and others i have ( yoga 900 ), can't watch videos in edge, and the display driver constantly crashes. On my XPS 12, the drivers are always crashing, and the websites flicker ( also using edge ), in fact, the one with the least amount of problems is probably my SP4, that's still besides the point. you're basically saying because of software the SP4 is flawed, it can't be, that's not how it works. You would , based on this logic of yours, need to go to a new operating system. Even if every device you received worked fine, the flaw is still in the software, not the hardware.

Just in case your confused.
Software issues can be resolved by updates / changes in code, i think you know this because you mentioned " waiting ".
Hardware issues can not be resolved by updates / code, without buying new hardware.

with that said, I still don't understand the justification for blaming a physical tangible object for poorly written drivers for an operating system.
And you are assuming I said it was a hardware problem when I didn't. It's my money to spend when and how I choose.

Yillbs

And you are assuming I said it was a hardware problem when I didn't. It's my money to spend when and how I choose.

No I feel you, I buy tons of them, just to have. As I said though, it was just your logic I was concerned about. " I am still having "display driver has stopped working". When the new Samsung tablet is released, if reviewers aren't having all these problems, I will be getting one and use my SP4 as a backup. " you're wanting to move from one flawed system to another flawed system, hoping for different results. People that define and utilize logical decisions this way, generally don't have the " money " very long to buy such amazing toys, that's all I was getting at. I bid you farewell, and hope you have better luck with your new device!

dcoplien

You are assuming the Samsung tablet will be flawed. Obviously you have a problem that I can afford to buy another with my own money.

You might want to look at our bio next to your posts. It reports you are using an SP3 not 4.

Last edited: