What's new

The horror... I cancelled my order for the Pro 4

Afy

I had pre ordered an i7 16 GB/ 256 GB model that is due to be released here in the yUK tomorrow the 10th.
However I decided to cancel my order and buy the super productive all encompassing iPad Pro instead.

Not a chance.. but I did cancel.. Simply realised that buying through MS got me a one year warranty, with no way of buying an additional warranty. While buying it from the likes of a retailer such as john Lewis got me a two year warranty for free. So I guess I will be heading out to Oxford Street tomorrow and hopefully they will have one in stock.

And no seriously, I would never consider a product from crApple

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft offer an additional warranty that offers damage protection. Throw your SP4 off a bridge, send it to MS with £50 and you get a new one sent back. Can be used twice within the warranty period.

But yes, if it wasn't for my student discount i'd definitely have gone to JL.

OP
A

Afy

Microsoft offer an additional warranty that offers damage protection. Throw your SP4 off a bridge, send it to MS with £50 and you get a new one sent back. Can be used twice within the warranty period.

But yes, if it wasn't for my student discount i'd definitely have gone to JL.
They don't sell it in the UK according to the rep I chatted with.. so JL this evening.

EU law specifies that all electronic goods have a two year warranty. In the UK, this extends to a maximum of 6 years (because we have our own fit for purpose laws). There are no exceptions, and every business knows this law now. I bought from the MS store, and my warranty shows as running out in December 2017.

P.S. the law in UK is little known to the average person, but a a premium TV (aka 1.5k) that dies after 4 years is still under warranty. The longer the time after 2 years until 6 years, the bigger the defect must be to warrant a replacement. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
They don't sell it in the UK according to the rep I chatted with.. so JL this evening.

Microsoft Surface warranty documents | Microsoft Complete terms and conditions |

Just speaking to a rep online, and it certainly does exist for the SP4 in the UK.

Buy Microsoft Complete for Surface - Microsoft Store United Kingdom Online Store

It is expensive, but the peace of mind the damage protection brings you, given this is a very expensive mobile device, is well worth it.

OP
A

Afy

That is interesting.. so why did the rep tell me it wasn't available.

JL did not have the i7 models as yet. Which is frustrating. However they are offering a 3 year warrantly + 3 year accidental for £129 or thereabouts.
What was also interesting is that the keyboard etc are slightly more expensive at JL.

Also just tried buying the warranty from the MS Store.. not luck. The button is disabled. Very weird.. will get back on line with the reps in the morning and take a look.

Last edited:
OP
A

Afy

This has become a comedy. have re-ordered from the MS store. Including finally the Complete Care and a pen tip kit. Also shelled out for express delivery. So hopefully will have my order by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Seems like JL will not have the i7 16 GB/256 model for a while.. just like they don't have the i5 16 GB.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has become a comedy. have re-ordered from the MS store. Including finally the Complete Care and a pen tip kit. Also shelled out for express delivery. So hopefully will have my order by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Seems like JL will not have the i7 16 GB/256 model for a while.. just like they don't have the i5 16 GB.

MS could definitely have made the whole process a little easier. With my purchase, at times it was almost as if they don't want me to buy from them.

Glad you've (hopefully) gotten it all sorted and are happy with the purchase :)

OP
A

Afy

Oh yes. Am happy. Am replacing my Surface Pro 1 with it.. so it will definitely be a lot better. My usage of the old one had dropped off due to the minimal RAM available, And I didn't get around to buying the 3.
So this will be a huge improvement.

Oh yes. Am happy. Am replacing my Surface Pro 1 with it.. so it will definitely be a lot better. My usage of the old one had dropped off due to the minimal RAM available, And I didn't get around to buying the 3.
So this will be a huge improvement.
Glad you got it sorted. To be honest, since my last reply, I have had no end of problems with the SP4. I have given up using it for work now as it is far to unstable to be trusted on the field. MS have promised fixes, but not until 2016!!! I hope you have more luck than me, or can be patient until the updates are out. Let us know when it arrives!