What's new

The Kickstand is GREAT, however.......

InspectHerGadget

I really don't mind the keyboard case. But, that being said, after a week I already managed to scratch the back of my Surface, and I have NO idea how.
Yes, shame but even my wife's Surface 2 has a few small scratches on the back or so I thought. I just used some cleaner to rub the marks off.

I guess if they're serious scratches that has depth and has gone through the coating that is different. Our Surface 2 is about 18 months or so old.

You do need a case for them. I have seen ones used and carried around without a case and yes they do get scratched if you do that.

See the thread on cases/pouches on this forum. I ordered a lovely case from dpark on ebay, got it in three days by DHL.

OP
jds4300

jds4300

Several new offerings have appeared on Amazon that incorporate the S3 kickstand and they are slim, good looking and offer FULL coverage. Also, Swiss Gear offers some great low price tablet sleeves on Amazon.

LibbyLA

I "skin" all my portables to protect from surface scratches and have soft carrying cases for them. As much as I'd like a hard case for the S3, I think it would make it heavier and more cumbersome. Some of the cases interfere with the keyboard closing over the front, too.

netuser

Since there is no fan on the Surface 3, it needs to be able to cool by heat escaping through the built-in case.
Insulating it inside a protective case that prevents heat from escaping and trying to get maximum performance out of it at the same time may not work out very well.

netuser

This new protective case doesn't go on sale until early August, but it may be nice and has an "infinity hinge" that sounds like it will give more angles than the built-in kickstand,
http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/bags-for-tablets/dux-for-Microsoft-Surface-3/

STM-Dux-Surface-3-Side-LowRes_large.jpg

STM-Dux-Surface-3-Back-Stand-LowRes_large.jpg

STM-Dux-Surface-3-Back-Pen-LowRes_large.jpg

Last edited:

InspectorJon

I "skin" all my portables to protect from surface scratches and have soft carrying cases for them. As much as I'd like a hard case for the S3, I think it would make it heavier and more cumbersome. Some of the cases interfere with the keyboard closing over the front, too.
I think a case that has a protective rim around the edge is essential. The SP3 is extremely fragile with the glass going all the way to the edge. I have broken the glass from an edge impact twice now in less that 6 months. I use it every day and carry it around in the field. Only a small crack in the corner of the glass damaged the digitizer so the touch screen stops working properly. Microsoft's method if repair for this is to replace the entire machine. One has to start from scratch after that. Protect your screen edges.

lookingforward

I'm surprised nobody has made a TPU case for the S3 yet. I owned one for an Asus Transformer and it was great. There are plenty of times I would like to use my Surface as a tablet with a slim TPU case.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm surprised nobody has made a TPU case for the S3 yet. I owned one for an Asus Transformer and it was great. There are plenty of times I would like to use my Surface as a tablet with a slim TPU case.

As in something like the poetic cases? No way in hell i'd put a full body case on the S3 if it meant no kick stand. I've yet to come across a TPU case that wasn't a load of crap tbh. They're typically for the budget market and as such are terribly built.