What's new

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is the Gadget of the Year

mtalinm

in other news, Time names the Apple wAtch as one of the top innovations of 2014. except that it won't be released until 2015.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Even the Surface Pro is something I wouldn't change for anything other than a surface pro.
I've had this for a year now and still I just stare at it in awe.
It does everything I need it to do, and that's something.

That's great man me too! Although I finally saw the Surface Pro 3 the other day (and absolutely loved it) I really have no need to upgrade. I'm using my old computer for some tasks atm, namely burning CD's and checking out rough software, but it seems like I'm going back 20 years when I start using any pre-Surface now :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
in other news, Time names the Apple wAtch as one of the top innovations of 2014. except that it won't be released until 2015.

How is it innovative again? :D And as you say, what watch? All we've seen is advertising. Not a biased site at all.

kristalsoldier

Like many others here, the SP3 has been one the best buys I have made in the recent past. And, I would unhesitatingly buy another Pro again - though I think my SP3 will work just fine for another couple of years - unless there is a fanless version in which case, that would be the trigger for a new buy!

kundas1

I find the award is totally justifiable, as it is not only advanced in innovation and a trend setter but it is just so portable and fully usable in any situation. I have to disagree with a couple of others here about the keyboard, I luv the keyboard and don't have any problems or qualms with it, its thin enough not be cumbersome when putting it in the bag and protects the screen on my SP3 at the same time. the keys are very responsive under my fingers and I can type like a champ, the mouse pad on the other hand is another thing and I find that to be not as intuitive as others, but it gets the job done ;)

ptrkhh

The ideology of SP3 being a machine that can be both a tablet and a laptop is what many users subscribed to and MS actualizing that perhaps makes it worthy to be considered "gadget of the year". However, there has just been too many bugs in the execution, and QC needs to be addressed before it can legitimately pick up the mantle.
That's why I didn't pre-order the SP3. Theres always QC issue in the first batch on almost all products, from the iPhone to the Porsche. Its not like theyre punishing the early-adopters, they just cant predict what will happen when they actually produce the product.

I thought it's been documented the processor in the SP3 outclasses the Core M?
Yeah, the throttling on Core M sucks (as I heard). Basically, the i3 model of the SP3 is on par with the 5Y70 Core M, so if youre talking about the i5 or i7, yes.

unless there is a fanless version in which case, that would be the trigger for a new buy!
The Surface is pretty much fanless if you use it as a tablet. If you use it as a laptop, to perform heavier laptop tasks, then the fan has to run. There is no choice for now.
Sure youre talking about the next generation. The problem here is performance needs to improve, tasks getting heavier and heavier, programs need more resources, 4K is in. This is the third generation of Surface Pro, and we are pretty much still on the same level of performance as the first one. The next Skylake CPU (Broadwell is hopeless IMO) would give us 2 options: going fanless and stay with the same level of performance, or use the same fan to get more performance. Personally, I would prefer the latter, since, after all, the fan wouldn't run if you don't give it heavier tasks anyway.

its thin enough not be cumbersome when putting it in the bag and protects the screen on my SP3 at the same time. the keys are very responsive under my fingers and I can type like a champ, the mouse pad on the other hand is another thing and I find that to be not as intuitive as others, but it gets the job done ;)
Its not thin and light enough to be a proper cover. Sure it is super thin and super light as a keyboard, there is no debate around that. But we are talking about a cover here. It has to be a great cover before it can be a great keyboard, and it failed. And I didn't even mention the price tag, which makes no sense.

nipponham

That's why I didn't pre-order the SP3. Theres always QC issue in the first batch on almost all products, from the iPhone to the Porsche. Its not like theyre punishing the early-adopters, they just cant predict what will happen when they actually produce the product.
Sure, I understand this, but the frequency and gravity of QC issues is overwhelming. I still enjoy using my SP3 and it hasn’t affected my productivity to the point where I need to replace it, but getting SP4 as my next machine is not an automatic yes. I know I’ve read some comments on these boards from posters who have returned or given up on SP3 and I understand their sentiments.

I’m still lucky in that I frequent this board to learn and share information and I have some background knowledge of pcs and technology in general, but there is no way my wife or parents would be able to fix some of the issues I’ve encountered. (But then again, they might not have tinkered with it as much as I have:p) I won’t say that’s who Apple products are for, but they are both content and loyal Apple customers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, I understand this, but the frequency and gravity of QC issues is overwhelming. I still enjoy using my SP3 and it hasn’t affected my productivity to the point where I need to replace it, but getting SP4 as my next machine is not an automatic yes. I know I’ve read some comments on these boards from posters who have returned or given up on SP3 and I understand their sentiments.

I’m still lucky in that I frequent this board to learn and share information and I have some background knowledge of pcs and technology in general, but there is no way my wife or parents would be able to fix some of the issues I’ve encountered. (But then again, they might not have tinkered with it as much as I have:p) I won’t say that’s who Apple products are for, but they are both content and loyal Apple customers.
Do keep in mind that forums like this and especially the http://answers.microsoft.com will be filled with problems and QA issues because 95% of the people who don't have problems will never visit a forum, Forums are full of problems, haters and enthusiasts

kundas1

Its not thin and light enough to be a proper cover. Sure it is super thin and super light as a keyboard, there is no debate around that. But we are talking about a cover here. It has to be a great cover before it can be a great keyboard, and it failed. And I didn't even mention the price tag, which makes no sense.

I disagree, price not withstanding which I agree that it's over priced, the keyboard does make a great cover, so tell me how it fails as a cover? would love to hear it... several occasions the cover saved my screen, one time I dropped something on my SP3 and thank god for the cover it saved my screen from cracking! had I not have the keyboard/cover on the screen it would have surely cracked/broke.

nipponham

Do keep in mind that forums like this and especially the http://answers.microsoft.com will be filled with problems and QA issues because 95% of the people who don't have problems will never visit a forum, Forums are full of problems, haters and enthusiasts
I understand this as well. My opinions are based on my personal experiences not only with my machine but from anecdotes from a colleague as well.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I understand this as well. My opinions are based on my personal experiences not only with my machine but from anecdotes from a colleague as well.
I work in an Office with 80 IT and Business Consultants and thus far we have deployed 40 Surface Pro 3s, it is becoming our Official Device, including mine and the other BYOD Surface we have 42 SP3s all working without issues (Other than some Windows 10 TP Problems that go with the territory).

nipponham

I appreciate the input. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it's not affecting productivity yet, but it's sure making it stressful:(