What's new

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is the Gadget of the Year

megatronium

I appreciate the input. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it's not affecting productivity yet, but it's sure making it stressful:(

Maybe look into another device that doesn't affect productivity and stress you out? You can get a pretty good return if you sell it I imagine.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I find the award is totally justifiable, as it is not only advanced in innovation and a trend setter but it is just so portable and fully usable in any situation. I have to disagree with a couple of others here about the keyboard, I luv the keyboard and don't have any problems or qualms with it, its thin enough not be cumbersome when putting it in the bag and protects the screen on my SP3 at the same time. the keys are very responsive under my fingers and I can type like a champ, the mouse pad on the other hand is another thing and I find that to be not as intuitive as others, but it gets the job done ;)

Original keyboard owner here... I bought it with my Surface just to see how I got on with it, but was always intending on buying a 'proper' keyboard down the line. I never did.

It works better than I expected and 18 months of hard usage hasn't really seen any wear appear yet, overall a very satisfied customer! I do think they should have made the spacing/keys slightly bigger on the Surface Pro 3 edition though.

Telstar1948

My 5/8/256 SP3 has been nearly flawless...minor hiccups and burps to be sure. If there was one thing I would like to see (and I understand this is not a problem specific to the SP3) corrected would be scaling. It would be very nice for those of us using multiple monitors not to have this issue. Of course, we could all just get super res monitors to begin with...probably when my next trust fund check comes through, I'm sure!

ptrkhh

I’m still lucky in that I frequent this board to learn and share information and I have some background knowledge of pcs and technology in general, but there is no way my wife or parents would be able to fix some of the issues I’ve encountered. (But then again, they might not have tinkered with it as much as I have:p) I won’t say that’s who Apple products are for, but they are both content and loyal Apple customers.
Totally agree, no matter how great the SP3 is (its super amazing for sure), its not really that easy to work with compared to Apple's 'just work' philosophy and products, although it involves 2 separate devices to do the same task.

I disagree, price not withstanding which I agree that it's over priced, the keyboard does make a great cover, so tell me how it fails as a cover? would love to hear it... several occasions the cover saved my screen, one time I dropped something on my SP3 and thank god for the cover it saved my screen from cracking! had I not have the keyboard/cover on the screen it would have surely cracked/broke.
Its too heavy as a cover, seriously. As a matter of fact, the total weight of the tablet+cover is almost identical between the SP3 and SP2 (only 60g difference). Basically, the Type Cover cancels all the much-needed diet that the SP3 did in the first place. And its not like we should detach the cover every now and then, as what Panos said in the original Surface announcement, the cover was meant to be attached to the device all the time, don't detach it very often.

Then there is the keyboard itself. Sure, it is a decent keyboard, but when we dont use it, it shouldve disappeared, yet it doesnt. When you have it folded to the back, you cant hold the device freely without hitting the keys. It just detracts the tablet experience that the SP3 had significantly improved in the first place. Especially in portrait mode, theres no way I could hold the SP3 without hitting the keys. It doesn't disappear when I have it as a base for the kickstand as well. Theres always things that you keep thinking when youre using it compared to a regular cover, things like "if its wet, will it break?" or "make sure theres no strings around, or it could rip a key off the keyboard". Those things stop it from being a good cover.

IMO, I would love to get a Touch Cover for the SP3, which is clearly a cover-first and keyboard-second. Maybe its not a particularly great keyboard, but at least it does its main function properly, as a cover.

tldr, if you use the cover, you lose lots of improvement that the SP3 brought over the SP2.

Last edited:

kundas1

@ptrkhh sorry but I disagree with you and those are just YOUR opinions. first off the keyboard is so easy to take off and put on with the magnetic connectors, that I and OTHERS I know take it off all the time when not needed when we just wanna use it as a tablet. also I find it very thin and light that I normally forget to take it off sometimes when I have it folded backwards at times, but I do mostly take it off when not using it. At the beginning I did find it weird feeling the keys behind the SP3 when folded back but now don't even think or notice it and that can be fixed buy simply putting the keyboard on backwards so your fingers aren't touching the keys but the felt backing instead. also another great point you bring up is the keyboard makes a great stable base under the stand when on your lap and need a stable base. theres so many benefits to the keyboard/cover that it makes it a valuable accessory! I think they did a fantastic job at designing it... the only thing that I can say sucks is the price! LOL

SRVwannab

I love my Surface Pro 3 but still would prefer the Yoga 3 Pro style if Lenovo weren't IDIOTS about not including a stylus. I'd just rather have the guts under the keyboard and a super thin screen. Why is it no one will create THIS device with stylus support?

Yoga Style
qHD Screen
Active Digitizer
3:2 Aspect Ratio
Under 2.5 Lbs
M Processor with Passive Cooling

If I ran a hardware company THIS is the computer I would build and then sell the hell out of it because it would be SO awesome.

That being said, on the current field, SP3 is the best athlete although flawed.

To say that you'd like if only it had stylus support, is for me, saying something like I could be an MMA contender... if I only knew how to fight. :)

For me, the game-changer is inking. Love it. There are a few other things that I'm not crazy about, but it is the ability to take notes in a way that actually simulates a pen and paper that earns the SP3's spot in my bag.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I think the keyboard/cover works really well. Although, I agree they could make it more central to one of those jobs... I'd like to see a metal keyboard, and a cover which is magnetised, maybe they could split it off into different things.

Does anyone use the Touch Cover with Surface Pro 3!?

EMINENT

Great to see the accolades.

On the subject of the keyboard, I really wished they had a touch one. It was great and thin on my Sp2. Type is just too thick to always carry around. That extra bend for laptop mode made it awkward too.

Looking for a fanless, lighter, thinner version with touch keyboard in SP4!