What's new

The 'Much Criticised' SB Fulcrum Hinge

ncameron

Just been reading a few articles on rumours about the SB2 - one key common element is that Microsoft will be removing the 'much criticised' fulcrum hinge with its trademark gap, and making a normal flush-fit laptop.

Who has seen such 'widespread' criticism of the fulcrum hinge? I love it.

I particularly like the gap that means that the SB is the only laptop I have even owned that does not end up with a ghostly keyboard imprint on the screen.

Am I alone in this?

Last edited:

Wayne Orwig

It works for me. As you open the laptop, the point that touches moves back, keeping it from tipping easily. As you close it, it rolls forward making the unit a little smaller.
What it not to like about that?
So some whiner out there sees a gap when closed. They can get a cheesy plastic laptop and move on.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
much criticized by ... professional critics who had to find *something* to write about because praise wouldn't sell.

kristalsoldier

It works for me. As you open the laptop, the point that touches moves back, keeping it from tipping easily. As you close it, it rolls forward making the unit a little smaller.
What it not to like about that?
So some whiner out there sees a gap when closed. They can get a cheesy plastic laptop and move on.

I used to have one of those cheesy plastic laptops - it was an Acer Aspire!!! And there were gaps galore - in performance, build quality etc etc.

mva5580

Just been reading a few articles on rumours about the SB2 - one key common element is that Microsoft will be removing the 'much criticised' fulcrum hinge with its trademark gap, and making a normal flush-fit laptop.

Who has seen such 'widespread' criticism of the fulcrum hinge? I love it.

I particularly like the gap that means that the SB is the only laptop I have even owned that does not end up with a ghostly keyboard imprint on the screen.

Am I alone in this?

You are obviously not "alone," just like every single person on the internet who chooses to ask that question about ANYTHING.

Plenty of people are just fine with it but yes, many reviews have spoken less than high of it.

If you like it, then who cares what anyone else thinks. And if it's removed, would it stop you from buying the next one? I really doubt it.

mikegriffin84

You are obviously not "alone," just like every single person on the internet who chooses to ask that question about ANYTHING.

Plenty of people are just fine with it but yes, many reviews have spoken less than high of it.

If you like it, then who cares what anyone else thinks. And if it's removed, would it stop you from buying the next one? I really doubt it.
Actually if they remove the hinge and any utility is lost like the ability to have keys that are not sunk down in the keyboard or keys that leave smudges on the screen or even if the removal of the hinge changes the aesthetic of the device to look like other devices I won't be buying the new new Surface Book. I like the look of the hinge and that is one of the reasons I bought the device. It sets itself apart from other devices and looks cool. I have not had any issues with "dirt or other debris" getting in my device because of the gap. If you have that issue then you are most likely a pig who needs to be more tidy. If your carry case or bag is that dirty clean it.