What's new

The stand

spinachpie

Anyone else worried about opening and closing the stand too often? I have a feeling it will become loose and not be as sturdy after a while (as some old laptop screens used to do).

Does anyone else have this concern? It makes me not want to move it as often.

nipponham

I'm not worried about the kickstand becoming loose, but I don't like the fact that there are some uneven positions that make the kickstand wobble a bit.

everalm

I wouldn't worry too much, there is a LOT of engineering gone into the hinge mechanism, it's not some rinky dink friction hinge. I think you will find it is like a lot of the first batches of the SP3's if it works at the beginning it will keep on working, if it has problems at the beginning, replace it.

Set of close hip images of the hinge assembly by.... Now I know I've seen that face somewhere before.... :cool:

http://ultramobilepc-tips.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/surface-pro-3-hinge.html

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you get the extended warranty? If its loose after 1 year and 11 months you could always go for a replacement. I'm not worried about it, it seems fine to me. Two to three years from now there will be options available with twice the performance and battery life that are lighter. the next gen after that will charge in 10 seconds of direct sunlight, the stand will work by levitation, and words will just appear from lists you look at. :D

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've opened and closed mine enough (not even very much!) for it to have lost all of it's integrity due to it being held flat by nothing more than some sticky tape that has now peeled off. close the stand and there is a 2mm protrusion in the centre of the back of the device due to it bowing.

Liam2349

I've opened and closed mine enough (not even very much!) for it to have lost all of it's integrity due to it being held flat by nothing more than some sticky tape that has now peeled off. close the stand and there is a 2mm protrusion in the centre of the back of the device due to it bowing.

Your stand has bowed? :eek:

Pics?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would, if i could, but i can't. I'm piggybacked onto a random sky-booster, and it takes minutes just to load a webpage, let alone attempt to upload anything.

I'll see if i remember when i'm in the library tomorrow.

But yes, the stand has little structual integrity. When you open it, you'll see a strip of silver along the hinge at the centre of the device. This is just sticky tape, and in the centre, look carefully and you see it goes inside the body of the device. This stops it bending in the middle. Mine critically failed within about a week of getting the device. It is nothing more than sticky tape painted silver, you can scratch away the metal effect using a finger nail without having to exert any effort.

Don't get me wrong, the stand is the reason i finally jumped on the surface "band wagon", but it is still far from perfect.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here you go. Not enough for me to return it but enough to irritate me given the price. This is from nothing but opening and closing the stand.

Can't wait to renew my phone contract and go for unlimited data instead of 750mb a month.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413923910676.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413923910676.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 515
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413923919727.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413923919727.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 487

Liam2349

I would, if i could, but i can't. I'm piggybacked onto a random sky-booster, and it takes minutes just to load a webpage, let alone attempt to upload anything.

I'll see if i remember when i'm in the library tomorrow.

But yes, the stand has little structual integrity. When you open it, you'll see a strip of silver along the hinge at the centre of the device. This is just sticky tape, and in the centre, look carefully and you see it goes inside the body of the device. This stops it bending in the middle. Mine critically failed within about a week of getting the device. It is nothing more than sticky tape painted silver, you can scratch away the metal effect using a finger nail without having to exert any effort.

Don't get me wrong, the stand is the reason i finally jumped on the surface "band wagon", but it is still far from perfect.

That sounds bad - why no return/exchange?

Ok, I see. Doesn't look horrendous from the outside, but when open it looks messed up.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need this device every moment of every day at present (sure, sounded great having everything university related on one device, not if you need to return it though! not willing to replace for a refurb which i think is what you get if you do advanced replacement)

As i say, it's not bad enough for me to go to the effort of returning it, but it is pretty poor given the price. Other than this, and the really loose stand that rattles and shakes like a toy made in china, the device works pretty much perfectly, so will just use it till i'm forced to return it, i have the complete warranty (although did find it strange that they took my money but gave me absolutely no email confirmation of the transaction, email of terms and conditions etc, expiration date, nothing. Although bizzarely received a tax invoice from MS a day ago which is the first of it's kind i've ever received)