What's new

The time is now

beq

Hmm, it's past midnight, but thus far only one of our SP2's has been offered the firmware update? I wonder if it's due to having previously installed the manual FW updates to fix the microSD bug?

And it just happened to be the unit that got stuck on the purple update screen (though the culprit could have been one of the other Tuesday updates and not the FW update per se).

Was finally forced to turn it off after waiting a half hour. After reboot it showed those updates as having been successful, but then offered to do the all the Tuesday updates again for some reason. Then it got stuck on the purple update screen AGAIN second time around. Then it finally considered the other updates as done, and offered the FW update as the last remaining one to do. Then finally done!

Last edited:

beq

I noticed a couple of things after today's Windows Updates, can anyone else confirm?

1) There was an "optional" rollup update for Windows 8.1, which brought an enhanced OneDrive systemtray icon with additional context menu options. But there seems to be a visual glitch whereby that icon is now stuck on the "OneDrive is starting up..." state, even though the service itself is up and running. Anyone seeing this?

2) The System Firmware Update - 6/10/2014 bundled new Intel graphics driver v10.18.10.3496 (vs. the previous v10.18.10.3431) which supposedly "improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability". But it seems to have also removed the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel!? Did this happen to anyone else?

jrapdx

No updates here today at all, and it's well past midnight into early June 11 already. Not unusual, it's been the case every month.

I'd already installed the firmware fix for mSD/cold boot/sound driver/high CPU utilization bug. Since it seemed to reduce the CPU issues (not eliminated them altogether--CPU "revving" was only partly due to the startup conditions noted), I'm not so stressed waiting for the next batch of updates to land.

Though I'm kind of peeved about just as we're barely getting the SP2 working right, bam!, here's the SP3! My local MS Store says the SP3 is slated to arrive on June 21 (but will probably be in short supply for a while). I really feel just a little bit cheated.

My real problem with the whole thing: tried out the demo SP3 machine last weekend, and damn it, it really is better in a number of ways. MS seems to have actually listened to our complaints, and made real improvements. That's just awful.

Suppose I have choices: I can go broke spending another $1500 on a spiffy SP3, suffer with my now "old", "inadequate" SP2 and have all the more reason to curse it on a thrice-daily basis, or maybe just hang on for a little while longer, after all at the rate it's going the SP4 will be here by Christmas.

fax

I noticed a couple of things after today's Windows Updates, can anyone else confirm?

1) There was an "optional" rollup update for Windows 8.1, which brought an enhanced OneDrive systemtray icon with additional context menu options. But there seems to be a visual glitch whereby that icon is now stuck on the "OneDrive is starting up..." state, even though the service itself is up and running. Anyone seeing this?

2) The System Firmware Update - 6/10/2014 bundled new Intel graphics driver v10.18.10.3496 (vs. the previous v10.18.10.3431) which supposedly "improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability". But it seems to have also removed the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel!? Did this happen to anyone else?

1) Yes, seeing exactly the same. i.e. "OneDrive is starting up"
EDIT: Update, after a reboot the icon is back to normal i.e. "Files are up to date...."

2) Yes, your are not alone: Intel HD Graphics panel disappeared.

Cheers,
Fax

Last edited:
I think I'll skip this one for now.

Don't use microSD much,
seems to sleep OK now,
Don't remote boot (cool it's now an option though)
power cover was never sold in Australia :(
don't use miracast (not maracas autocorrect!)

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, greatly appreciated

Last edited:

GoodBytes

I have 0 problem on my side.
As for those complaining about Intel control panel, it is still there. Search for it.
I think Microsoft it from the right-click menu, because it was slowing down many right-click menus from showing (basically all of those who had the Intel control panel menu option).

If you use Surface Tweak Tool, you will see it is dated as: 5/12/2014, and not 6//10/2014. This is normal. 5/12/2014 was when the firmware was finalized, 6/10/2014 is when it was released.

cdf3

Did this update make scrolling on the Type Cover better?
Two finger scrolling of webpages was always kind of slow using the trackpad on my Type Cover 2.
I had chance to test out the new Surface Pro 3, and the two finger scrolling was much faster than mine.
I also tried the same webpage on the Surface Pro 2 models in the store, and they were much slower.
When I got back home I noticed I had quite a few updates. After the updates, two finger scrolling is much snappier.
Wasn't sure if this was from the updates I installed.

Has anyone installed the update manually? I checked the official Surface download page, and this package isn't listed yet. Is it available somewhere else?