What's new

The trap on the USB socket of Surface3

mwheel

I would like to see if anyone has the same problem with the USB socket of Surface 3.
I inserted a USB receiver of a wireless mouse into my Surface 3. The plug of mouse receiver got stuck with the USB socket of my Surface 3 and I could not get it out. No matter how hard I tried, the plug was still clutched in the USB socket. Finally, I pulled the USB plug by a pair of pliers and caused the USB socket totally damaged as shown in the attached photo.

I got a new replacement from the Microsoft dealer by a payment of HK$2,200 (near USD 300). Inspecting the new machine, I find that there are a pair of hooks on the 2 sides of the USB socket of Surface 3 (as shown in the attached photo). This pair of hooks just fit the holes on the USB plug of my wireless mouse (as shown in photo). This is why they got stuck with each other permanently and have no way to separate them again.

I think this pair of hooks in the USB socket is a serious design problem of Surface 3. I cannot find another USB socket which have the same problematic design.

Please check carefully if there are holes on the USB plug before you insert it into the Surface 3 socket, otherwise you may face the same problem as mine.

Attachments

• the hook.jpg
    the hook.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 829
  • the hole.jpg
    the hole.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,010
  • damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 859
Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
FWIW I have dozens of USB sticks and cables with plugs and none of them have holes on the side like the plug you show. A couple have a really small hole about half the size as that shown while the majority have no holes at all on the side of the plug.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds more like a serious design problem with your mouse if you ask me.

Looking for my mouse, I went through about 15 different usb cables and dongles and not one has actual holes, just slight indents, or no indent or hole at all. I've not had one problem with the socket, and this is the first time I've seen this issue on this forum.

I'm at a loss for words as to how you managed to cause that much damage just forcefully removing the dongle though. Looks like you went at it with a hammer and a cleaver

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone encounters this situation the better approach would be to slide thin plastic strips down the side of the plug then pull it out.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone encounters this situation the better approach would be to slide thin plastic strips down the side of the plug then pull it out.
Indeed. And if that fails, just send it to Microsoft citing design flaw and get a free replacement instead of having to pay out a few hundred because of user inflicted damage

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that the male USB (mouse) connector is at fault. The "hooks" are actually guides, and necessary. It could be that the particular mouse plug manufacturer saved on raw materials by punching out that hole.

This image web search shows various male USB connectors. Cutouts on the sides of the connector are rare or nonexistant, and also do not show up in standards documentation.

leeshor

I have a bunch of WiFi and Blue Tooth tiny dongles like that and 1 has a really small opening on the right side but not nearly as large as yours appears to be. Maybe 1/4 that size and set much further back on the dongle.