What's new

Thermal Imaging "map" of i7-based Surface Pro 3

graye

Below is a "heat map" of my new i7-based Surface Pro 3. The thermal image was taken from the front while installing Microsoft Office.

Notice the difference in temperature from the middle and corners.

FLIR0023.jpg

kodos

Does someone have a thermal map from the i5? Is this substantially hotter? My i5 gets pretty warm in that corner as well. But I didn't think it was that hot. Could be wrong.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does someone have a thermal map from the i5? Is this substantially hotter? My i5 gets pretty warm in that corner as well. But I didn't think it was that hot. Could be wrong.
I ran a graphics benchmark on an i5 and measured a max of 110 on the back with a temperature probe that records the max temp during the measurement cycle. Given that both the i5 and i7 have a max TDP of 15w id expect them to be pretty much the same I that regard.

Liam2349

I was about to go crazy, but then I realized you are showing Fahrenheit (hate that unit as it doesn't scale linearly). 113F = 45C. Not too bad.

bkydcmpr

my i7 got hot right after connected to wifi, I wasn't even doing anything on it! but it seems each device has different thermal properties, mine is getting poor 3dmarks scores comparing to the number the other people posted.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
my i7 got hot right after connected to wifi, I wasn't even doing anything on it! but it seems each device has different thermal properties, mine is getting poor 3dmarks scores comparing to the number the other people posted.
It was likely downloading windows updates... something most people overlook when apparently doing nothing. on another thread a user noted his free storage was mysteriously decreasing... again windows updates. :)

Last edited: