What's new

They Cut off Google Calendar sync!!!

bulls96

You can go to your Google Calendar on a desktop PC, export the iCalendar file and then add it to your calendar on the Outlook Express website. It worked very smoothly for me and now all of my Google appointments from work are on my MS Calendar. No need to do anything drastic.

the problem remains for new calendar items going forward.. this is a killer for any Android phone user like me :(
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Rallicat

The reason this issue is occurring is because Google have decided -in their wisdom- to stop allowing devices to syn content such as Calendar data using Microsoft ActiveSync, and have jumped ship onto another protocol.

This is essentially a big mid-digit to anyone not /exclusively/ using Google Services throughout. By making this change in such a rapid manner, Google are engaging in what I personally believe to be pretty poor practices designed to restrict user choice.

Personally, I'd strongly recommend users switch to using Microsoft's solution - the new Outlook.com solution is free, gives you great email, calendar and contact system, and works seamlessly with your Surface RT or Pro (or any other Windows 8 device for that matter). You'll be happier :)

drowe

Personally, I'd strongly recommend users switch to using Microsoft's solution - the new Outlook.com solution is free, gives you great email, calendar and contact system, and works seamlessly with your Surface RT or Pro (or any other Windows 8 device for that matter). You'll be happier :)

The better choice is to not throw away my $700 android smartphone for some win8 phone and use Google's web interface on my tablet. In addition to a much better interface, I keep my appointments and reminders color coded.

nhaigh

The reason this issue is occurring is because Google have decided -in their wisdom- to stop allowing devices to syn content such as Calendar data using Microsoft ActiveSync, and have jumped ship onto another protocol.

The thing that bothered me here is that Google have left Active Sync working for anyone who already had it configured so I've been happily carrying on. I have had it it confirgured that way on several devices including my surface. When I took the upgraded client it was Microsoft that caused me to have to change not Google. They coded into the upgrade a removal of the active sync for Google and forced me to reset up the account. They also did this with no warning so it took me by complete suprise. Worse, it meant I lost access to my calendar altogether because Microsoft have chosen not to support any alternative.

My Active Sync access to Google still works on my Android tablet, android phone and my iPad.

I was just evaluating the possibility of moving off my Galaxy S3 phone to a Windows phone (HTC 8X) to try and standardize on the windows platform. I almost pulled the trigger on that last weekend but I don't see how I can consider that now if I cant get good integration with my work calendar any longer.

Rallicat

The better choice is to not throw away my $700 android smartphone for some win8 phone and use Google's web interface on my tablet. In addition to a much better interface, I keep my appointments and reminders color coded.

I didn't suggest throwing anything away at all!

Rallicat

...(CUT)
I was just evaluating the possibility of moving off my Galaxy S3 phone to a Windows phone (HTC 8X) to try and standardize on the windows platform. I almost pulled the trigger on that last weekend but I don't see how I can consider that now if I cant get good integration with my work calendar any longer.

We can only hope (and I'm sure I saw somewhere that this might be coming but I can't recall where) that Microsoft will implement the new protocols that Google has deployed to support their services.

All the vendors offer better experiences when you use their services together. It shouldn't have to be the case, but it is. However it's not that big a leap to consider that maybe, just maybe, you could get the same quality services from Microsoft that you do today from Google .. in some cases, maybe even get a better service. Personal preferences and requirements still apply of course, and I'm sure plenty of people can think of various ways that only Google can fulfil their needs - my experiences differ. I moved back to Microsoft, Hotmail (now Outlook.com), and their other services when I first switched to Windows Phone in late 2011 ... couldn't be happier, yes it was a pain getting all my stuff out of Google, but it was worth it to ensure I would have a fully integrated end to end setup. I'd do the same thing if I was about to jump to Android or iOS ... using their stuff throughout would just give better results.

Does it stink? Sure ... but I guess life's just unfair like that(!)

OP
H

HB_xxx

Read that iOS will no longer support new google calendars too. I'm just really pissed at google right now. Also not happy about them cutting off google reader. It's hard to ever trust their stuff when you know they might just suddenly cut it off!!!

ArnoldC

I'm using Outlook.com for Android on my Sony Xperia V. Try it, it's free anyway.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express