What's new

Thinking about buying a surface pro (Original)

ri0ku

Hey guys just registered after finding this forum. Seems like a really good place for surface fans.

I am just about to pull the trigger on a Surface Pro original (UK) £439 from the MS store with a £50 cash back offer for the 64GB version with a touch cover. I just have a few questions to anyone here who uses their surface for art.

I really want to be able to use mine for some light gaming (source engine stuff) which I know it can handle, however I really want to be using some art programs too again not replacing a powerful desktop by any means but rather just to use for light 3D modelling and some texturing work in photoshop.

I would use 3DS Max and Zbrush/mudbox and photoshop. Has anyone had any experience with these on the surface ? the only thing I'm put off by is the scaling of the UI for 3DS max as the buttons in the bottom corner will be extremely small to click on.

Again I wouldn't be using it as a desktop replacement but just something to do some light work on possibly do some modelling then taking them to be rendered on the desktop. Really like the look of the wacom support for Zbrush too, theres a couple of videos on youtube with people doing some decent sculpts.

Thanks for your time guys!

dlacaba

I've used photoshop CS5. It's not bad, but the buttons are kind of small to click on. You would have issues if you going to use the touch screen, but using a mouse makes it easier.

jimkraz

I have the original Surface Pro and Surface RT, never ever had a problem with either, use PaintShop Pro and Adobe Elements and a few other programs I had on my desktop, all have worked fine, my desktop has been relegated to the room my granddaughter uses when she stays, I have never missed it, enjoy. Jim

godzillinois

Most people have reported that art programs like Manga Studio and Photoshop work fine, and there's a free program you can get called Art Dock (I think?) that gives you a toolbar with bigger sizes to use for art programs. I haven't had any experience with 3D programs and I know they're more CPU intensive than the aforementioned programs so I'm not sure. I think I've heard of some people doing some light modeling and rendering with the Pro. Here's some links I've been able to find:

3DS Max and Maya 2014 installed...but then what? ? Surface Pro Artist

Issue with 3ds Max and Surface Pro - Wacom Drivers - Microsoft Community

TunaSurface

Programs work well, I guarantee that.
I recommend plugging it into an external monitor for maximum comfort, and when you need to use the
touchscreen just pick it up.