What's new

Third New Problem: Aggressive CPU Slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe just return it for replacement like most people do when they get a machine which offers issues nobody else seems to face.

convergent

Resetting to the way I got it by reimaging the factory OEM image and then booting up to replicate the original out-of-box experience.

Where did you get the factory OEM image? I didn't re-image mine and I'm not seeing these problems. Maybe as was suggested by @hughlle, you could return it and try using the next one without the re-image. As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke...".

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You should never defrag an SSD @mimarsinan - I don't see any of these issues it would appear you have an axe to grind or perhaps a fix to sell...

convergent

You should never defrag an SSD @mimarsinan - I don't see any of these issues it would appear you have an axe to grind or perhaps a fix to sell...

I think the key here is that he re-imaged the machine before he used it. One of the problems he reported he's seeing on his SP4 as well. Sounds like his OEM Windows 10 image may have some Surface driver problems. I've never felt a need to reimage a machine I just took out of the box before trying it first to see if there were any problems.

CrippsCorner

Maybe just return it for replacement like most people do when they get a machine which offers issues nobody else seems to face.

Exactly this. I had a few problems on my machine, so sent it back for a replacement. I did spend a few days trying to rectify things... but why bother? It's a brand new machine and under warranty so you're completely within your rights to ask for a free replacement. It sucks but hey, shit happens (to any kind of hardware)

Quit your moaning :)

If it happens on your replacement Surface too... well then that's another conversation altogether.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think the key here is that he re-imaged the machine before he used it. One of the problems he reported he's seeing on his SP4 as well. Sounds like his OEM Windows 10 image may have some Surface driver problems. I've never felt a need to reimage a machine I just took out of the box before trying it first to see if there were any problems.
Too many old school nerds/geeks and IT people try to do old school ways of handling new technology. I always teach my IT people to provision and manage new systems - just say no to destructive imaging and "Fat" Images...

And honestly - IT Professionals don't know better than the OEMs on these modern mobile devices.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just don't see why someone would bother messing about with a fresh install of windows. This isn't some Acer computer chock a' block full of bloatware. That's one of the reasons that I love surface products. The worst you'll experience is an advert for candy crush in the start menu.

OP
M

mimarsinan

Where did you get the factory OEM image? I didn't re-image mine and I'm not seeing these problems. Maybe as was suggested by @hughlle, you could return it and try using the next one without the re-image. As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke...".

From the device itself, of course.

I always image, using a USB drive and Macrium Reflect, any PC I purchase - at the very first power-on, so I have a 100% clean, un-molested image of the system in a pure factory state.

OP
M

mimarsinan

What's interesting is that mine NEVER EVER reached 0.4 GHz on idle with no apps running 0% CPU usage whatsoever. It's always on 0.5 GHz even on battery saver mode Heck, it likes to go to 4.0 GHz even on recommended slider. Just did a CPU-Z validation yesterday and yep 4.0 GHz. Intel Core i7 @ 3990.24 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR

So, there's the problem I'm looking at then.

If you read my post, you'll notice the issue happened *not* when I was idle, but when I was *active* on the PC.

Again, that's the problem. The CPU slows down exponentially in the middle of use.

Easily fixed, but very annoying, all the same.

convergent

From the device itself, of course.

I always image, using a USB drive and Macrium Reflect, any PC I purchase - at the very first power-on, so I have a 100% clean, un-molested image of the system in a pure factory state.

Well my conclusion is that's your problem. You had a pure factory state, the way Microsoft intended it for the Surface, when you opened the box. I'm guessing something in your OEM image is not just right, driver wise, for the Surface. I can see possibly doing an image if you bought some no name device that had a lot of junkware on it, but you bought a Surface from Microsoft. Don't you think maybe they know best how to prepare it?

Status
Not open for further replies.