What's new

Third Party Chargers

Trovahead

I picked up one of the chargers from China for $11.00 on ebay and have been using it for about three weeks now. It works great - doesn't have the little LED light when connected, but I can live with that. I am very happy with my cheap, second charger.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

I picked up one of the chargers from China for $11.00 on ebay and have been using it for about three weeks now. It works great - doesn't have the little LED light when connected, but I can live with that. I am very happy with my cheap, second charger.

It's always nice to have options. Maybe a vendor will make one with a light that turns a different color when fully charged.

ArnoldC

URL please, or item number.

ArnoldC

Wow, they got the connector right. Thanks for the link, might give this a try.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Chubnut

Been holding off on this for a while as they haven't been available till now - or I've missed them. Just ordered a UK plug version to leave at the girlfriend's house. Total price incl P&P £7.68! Once I get it and test it I'l let you know. If any good I may pick up another to leave at work and keep the US one for my house and travel.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

So, do these chargers on Ebay from China work on the Pro?
The RT is 24W and the Pro is 48W. They both work with the other Surface. The 24W used on the Pro will slow charge it. The 48W on the RT will fast charge.
Power supply  Surface RT includes a 24-watt power supply.  Surface Pro includes a 48-watt power supply with a built-in USB charging port.
The Surface 48-watt power supply with a USB charging port can be purchased separately and used with either Surface RT or Surface Pro. For more info, see the Battery and power section in this guide.

whorne

bosamar, thanks for the info. I will read more in the battery and power section. Thanks again for the direction.

BC3

bosamar, thanks for the info. I will read more in the battery and power section. Thanks again for the direction.

I've been searching ebay daily to see when a third-party charger for the Surface Pro (48W version) would become available. Today a version became available for approx. $20. I'm going to pull the trigger and I'll let you know how it works.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

I've been searching ebay daily to see when a third-party charger for the Surface Pro (48W version) would become available. Today a version became available for approx. $20. I'm going to pull the trigger and I'll let you know how it works.

Does it have a USB port like the OEM?