What's new

Third Party Chargers

BC3

They are interchangeable provided you get ones that are ;) Third party knock offs don't usually include the smart circuits to ensure they don't melt down. Unless you are sure it will work on both use caution or expect there may be some issues. This has already happened with some people who tried cheap car chargers on the Pro only to have them melt even though they said they were for the Pro. Fortunately those people were more interested in the charging tip than the actual charger so it wasn't a huge loss. The seller quickly changed the compatibility but it just shows you never know.

I've had mine since the beginning of April (see earlier post). I charge my SP every day for 8 hours while I'm at work and have not had an issue. Just sharing my real world experience.

kenman345

I get that Third Party adapters and chargers would be nice, but I just picked up a RT Charger to have for more mobile use with my SP for a nice $15 + tax at the Microsoft Store just for taking the Bing It On Challenge. They don't even care if your result is you like Google more, just do 5 searches and pick a winner or it's a draw and then you get $25 off any accessory. Gonna send my family there tomorrow to get me spare styli and a SP charger maybe.

EDIT:

Looking at the fine print it appears the Microsoft Store by me is just friendly and gave me a $25 discount on a purchase less than $75. But still, I would've spent more if I really needed. I essentially got a $5 for every search I did there.

P.S. I had 3 out of 5 that I liked were Bing and the rest I picked "Can't decide, it's a draw".......Still not 100% sold though, but hey, it's a great way to give a discount

Last edited:

riggi

I've been using the one I bought every weekday at work for almost 2 months and it's been great.
I leave it plugged into the power at work and just connect the magnetic thing when I'm at my desk. I probably disconnect and reconnect 3 or 4 times a day.

I actually like this better than the MS charger as it connects properly every time and I don't have to fiddle with it to get it to charge. The MS one I usually have to wiggle the connector until it connects properly.