What's new

This for a Surface Pro would be amazing

Kif

On paper it sounds cool but in reality it's not very practical. You could probably buy an xbox one for less and get a much better gaming experience.

OP
K

kozak79

You guys missed my point completely. This device is only $300, you can put any video card into it. It uses PCI-E port to connect, so you get full graphics throughput. It will not work with any other device than an Alienware Laptop. This thing basically futureproofs your portable by letting you upgrade to the newest full desktop video card when you want.

I would love Microsoft to build something like this for future Surfaces. I have a laptop for gaming. I also love my Surface. Here is my dream setup:

Surface Pro
Breakout Graphic Amplifier (With Geforce GTX 980 4GB Ram)
27 inch 4K monitor

You can use the Surface on the go and when you feel like doing some serious gaming, just plug in the graphic amplifier and use the external monitor plugged into it to play real games. Then unplug and go portable again.

You don't need 2 devices. I know some of you say you replaced your desktops, then this is not for you, but I do Video Editing, 3D Modeling, and play Video Games.

BTW, Thunderbolt doesn't have enough throughput for a top Graphics Card, like the GTX 980, that's why Alienware went with PCI-E.

P.S. The way the Graphics Amplifier works on Alienware laptops is that when it's plugged in, the onboard graphics gets disabled and only the Graphics in the Amplifier is used.

OP
K

kozak79

On paper it sounds cool but in reality it's not very practical. You could probably buy an xbox one for less and get a much better gaming experience.

I want to game with a mouse and keyboard, I have for years. That's why there is still a big market for PC games. If I wanted an XBOX, I'd get one. There are a bunch of reviews about this and they are all positive.

OP
K

kozak79

Why are people trying to force the Surface to be some kind of gaming beast?

I don't think anyone is. Right now I have a Laptop and a Surface. I don't really need the laptop, just for gaming. I would love to get rid of my laptop or not have to buy a another computer for gaming. When I'm home, I'd like to have an option to play some games, I don't expect that when i'm out of the house. I don't see why some people are getting so worked up over this? If it's an option, you don't have to buy it, but there are plenty of people out there that would. Especially students, that can use their Surface in class like they have been, then plug in a graphics amplifier at home and do some serious graphic intensive work or play games.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You actually only need an SP3 and a Microsoft docking station to give you a great desktop replacement. It's a welcome growing trend here at LHM where I work. I feel I had something to do with the trend, having used my SP3 here at work to supplement my company computer. I'm constantly multitasking at my desk between 3 or 4 computers.

The surface doesn't even come close to meeting my requirements for a desktop replacement due to storage and cpu speed (this might be i5 but it's certainly not what i'd call fast, and i in no way feel the price of the i7 models to be justified for me). But it's mostly storage, and i hate external drives, i'd end up with a desk covered in them)