What's new

This has to go back...

OP
L

liftbikerun

If it worked fine for 5 days and then suddenly started acting up, it's most likely software - ether something you installed or something got corrupted. It's certainly not a cooling design problem because that hasn't changed.

I like to install an imaging program such as Macrium Reflect that allows me to image my current state, then do a factory restore and install a particular program or perform a test, and then restore back to where I was. The key to isolating the problem is to start debugging from a known good state. If you do a complete wipe and still have cooling issues with nothing installed, then it's most likely hardware and a return is in order.

I am doing a full reset now, when it's done I am going to create a blank profile, import nothing, update all the software, and then try the test one more time. If it fails, I'm over it, I'll be calling the MS Store at 10am PST to make sure they'll take the return, and be done with it otherwise.

OP
L

liftbikerun

Sitting here in 65f weather, overcast, no sun, cold as heck in my office, and I'm resetting my surface, it's at only 16%, and the fan has slowly ramped up to almost full blast.... For real, I just did this on my SP2 before selling it and it was silent, this thing has some major heat issues.

ipaq_101

Dude just swap it out already, wouldn't that be easier than resetting everything and making 50 posts about how hot it is?

joell85

3:30 Fan came on

4:00 Throttling began

6:00 Speed down to 1.6 ghz

10:00 Still at 1.6 ghz

Lowest speed through test was 1.33ghz

OP
L

liftbikerun

3:30 Fan came on

4:00 Throttling began

6:00 Speed down to 1.6 ghz

10:00 Still at 1.6 ghz

Lowest speed through test was 1.33ghz

Appreciate you doing that, at least it gives me a real world benchmark. I guess I need to figure out if I really want to go through exchanging this and hoping for better or just deal without for a while and return it.... Sounds like something is in fact wrong with mine currently as it was still dropping the CPU core speed when I turned it off at .79ghz or whatever it downclocked it to.

Mario

jtuck82

Heres what I collected...

Tried it twice basically within 10 mins of each other... speeds never got below 1.48ghz the first time throughout the whole test of about 6 mins. This data below is from the 2nd test

:20 secs in I could hear the fan.

2:20 throttled to 1.98ghz

3:50 throttled to 1.55ghz

5.00 throttled to 1.15ghz (lowest during the 2nd test)

7:30 speed back up to 1.55ghz

8:10 up to 2.4ghz

9.10 throttled down to 1.98ghz

close the program at 10 mins and cpu dropped from about 85c down to 45c in like 20 to 30 seconds with the cpu dropping down to a low .78ghz or so. I'm assuming once the program is closed the cpu is suppose to drop down that low to preserve battery since nothing is really running.

Just thought I'd share this.

OP
L

liftbikerun

Heres what I collected...

Tried it twice basically within 10 mins of each other... speeds never got below 1.48ghz the first time throughout the whole test of about 6 mins. This data below is from the 2nd test

:20 secs in I could hear the fan.

2:20 throttled to 1.98ghz

3:50 throttled to 1.55ghz

5.00 throttled to 1.15ghz (lowest during the 2nd test)

7:30 speed back up to 1.55ghz

8:10 up to 2.4ghz

9.10 throttled down to 1.98ghz

close the program at 10 mins and cpu dropped from about 85c down to 45c in like 20 to 30 seconds with the cpu dropping down to a low .78ghz or so. I'm assuming once the program is closed the cpu is suppose to drop down that low to preserve battery since nothing is really running.

Just thought I'd share this.

Did your fan ever turn off between attempts or after you finished? I'm about 42 minutes from leaving to go to the MS Store, and my Surface never stopped spinning the fan in an audible fashion.

malberttoo

Appreciate you doing that, at least it gives me a real world benchmark. I guess I need to figure out if I really want to go through exchanging this and hoping for better or just deal without for a while and return it.... Sounds like something is in fact wrong with mine currently as it was still dropping the CPU core speed when I turned it off at .79ghz or whatever it downclocked it to.

Mario

Friend, you've already heard from so many other users that your issues are unique to your machine. When I got my first Surface Pro, I discovered after only 10 minutes out of the box that the WiFi was broken on it. It was frustrating, but that's life.

If you wanted this device enough to buy it in the first place, then do yourself a favor and exchange it now! You will be so much happier when the working unit is finally in your hands.

OP
L

liftbikerun

Friend, you've already heard from so many other users that your issues are unique to your machine. When I got my first Surface Pro, I discovered after only 10 minutes out of the box that the WiFi was broken on it. It was frustrating, but that's life.

If you wanted this device enough to buy it in the first place, then do yourself a favor and exchange it now! You will be so much happier when the working unit is finally in your hands.

Welp, We'll find out!

jtuck82

Did your fan ever turn off between attempts or after you finished? I'm about 42 minutes from leaving to go to the MS Store, and my Surface never stopped spinning the fan in an audible fashion.

Yea after each test it literally took no time, like maybe 20 secs to see a drop in temps from 80c back down to 40c. Took like maybe a minute and the fan had stopped and I couldn't hear it anymore and the backside cooled off very fast after each test.