What's new

This is for you if you take extensive notes -- any good solutions on finding/structuring/sorting?

designbetter

have you found some solution that works for you yet?

i use onenote, and other software

one problem is finding what you're looking for,

not able to able to find specific things within extensive extensive notes is a common problem

and where your notes are

onenote has very limited search as you know

many other problems, won't go into it...

if you take extensive notes, what solutions works for you?

--

the key problem is that the software isn't designed well

paper is highly limiting, and software solves a bunch of those ills

but the software has lots of constraints and limits as have been said on the Web

it would be good if ppl in the world could make something actually innovative though

--

[ this is for you if you take extensive notes ] -- any good solutions on finding/structuring/sorting notes?

ScottyS

Do you have OneNote notebook files saved on One Drive? If so OneNote does OCR in the background and you can search for even handwritten terms. Make a point of block printing neatly key terms in your notes so there's no trouble with OneNotes OCR engine recognizing it (and give it some time to do this in the background, like a day or so) and try searching.

bmclachlan

I don't have any problem with OneNote finding items. I use extensive tags noting items that I need to follow up on as well. You can also search for multiple words and phrases. And, to help you, organize your notebooks with sections (tabs) to keep similar subject matter together.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are we talking the onenote app, or the desktop version? I took extensive notes every day for 3 years and never once had an issue with organizational or searching.

As to constraints and limits, the desktop version of onenote has more features and abilities than I can possibly know what to do with.

OP
D

designbetter

I have OneNote notebooks going back to 2003 and all are searchable and I have around 5GB of notes all in ink...

so you're able to find exactly what you need instantly??

how do you have your notes setup that you're able to find exactly what you need instantly??

let's start with a simple example,

you have 10 sections, each with 20 pages, all about different things about 'cats'

you search onenote for 'cat' -- how in the world do you find exactly what you need instantly??

OP
D

designbetter

organizational or searching.

what's your flow?

any most helpful links on the Web in 2017 by now on structuring?

cos im sure the search is the problem,

ppl complain about onenote search (and all other software search function) all over the Web

but what's the most helpful link on the Web in 2017 by now on structuring?

and i'll give it a try

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

how do you have your notes setup that you're able to find exactly what you need instantly??

let's start with a simple example,

you have 10 sections, each with 20 pages, all about different things about 'cats'

you search onenote for 'cat' -- how in the world do you find exactly what you need instantly??
Your search foo needs to updated - it is giving you exactly what you asked for "Cats", I typically remember about 90% of what I write and since my notes are tied to Outlook Meetings, so I have better search criteria.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
what's your flow?

cos im sure the search is the problem,

ppl complain about onenote search (and all other software search function) all over the Web

but what's the most helpful link on the Web in 2017 by now on structuring?

and i'll give it a try

My flow? Don't really know what that means.

I've used mine for university, so 3 notebooks each with around 12 sections, and about 40-80 pages in each section. I simply search for what I'm after just as I would on Google. If I searched cat on Google the results would be equally vague. I know what I was working on was about ABC so I search ABC, not just A

OP
D

designbetter

"exactly"

im looking for something far more detail about 'cats' but dont know where it is

"typically remember about 90%"

psychological studies have proven that not a single person

and that a person has a high amount of bias in their self-perception

---

if everything was remembered, we would never even need any notes at all

OP
D

designbetter

"better search criteria"

well onenote is a 13y old software and doesn't, and there's nothing better in 2017

is there a better solution?

---

OP
D

designbetter

* what's the most detail example you can think of to see how fine-grain onenote can be? (remember there are multiple occurrences of any given word)

"3 notebooks each with around 12 sections, and about 40-80 pages in each section"