What's new

This is for you if you take extensive notes -- any good solutions on finding/structuring/sorting?

OP
D

designbetter

first example clearly shows that search in onenote like all else

* is not targeted and is showing all of the results (not what you're looking for)

--

"exact same way I would search for something on Google"

if we assume google was the least worst search, then why do we have all these problems:

https://www.quora.com/In-which-type...address-these-issues-best-or-most-promisingly

which is merely <1% of all the problems and flaws, there's endless examples and evidence, so i'll assume you don't really used google in any extensive way

since the question was specifically for those that takes extensive notes, and if they had ever found any solutions to this problem

which it seems nobody has yet

those that extensive notes need possible solutions to this problem

---

"UWP or Mobile Version"

good thing nobody uses this, this clearly shows that you can't even see the titles, thus making it extra hard to find what you're looking for

---

Just like any Index, the more info you give it the better the result - as above but with more context and information and far less but more focused results -

if you search

windows 10

it shows results with '10' in it

the search function is so incredibly lacking (so you can't find what you're looking for)

you can't even search like in google with " " around the text for a actually targeted search

since my notes are tied to Outlook Meetings, so I have better search criteria

===

there's thousands other problems that have long been mentioned on the Web

but i can't find them on my notes -- because onenote is a 13y old sofware and is so incredibly limited

there hasn't been any solutions yet for the core problem of finding what you're looking for

--

the problems are no answered, a few of which were:

so you're able to find exactly what you need instantly??

how do you have your notes setup that you're able to find exactly what you need instantly??

Last edited:
OP
D

designbetter

1000 word document friend

the context is obvious but i'll rephrase:

given 1 billion words across your onenote,

* how are you going to find something specific about cats that you know is somewhere in one of the many 100-1000 word notes that are related to cats in all kinds of ways?

* and are sorted into 100+ sections because the value of those information is much more useful and relevant to those particular sections?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

first example clearly shows that search in onenote like all else

* is not targeted and is showing all of the results (not what you're looking for)

--

"exact same way I would search for something on Google"

if we assume google was the least worst search, then why do we have all these problems:

https://www.quora.com/In-which-type...address-these-issues-best-or-most-promisingly

which is merely <1% of all the problems and flaws, there's endless examples and evidence, so i'll assume you don't really used google in any extensive way

since the question was specifically for those that takes extensive notes, and if they had ever found any solutions to this problem

which it seems nobody has yet

those that extensive notes need possible solutions to this problem

---

"UWP or Mobile Version"

good thing nobody uses this, this clearly shows that you can't even see the titles, thus making it extra hard to find what you're looking for

---

if you search

windows 10

it shows results with '10' in it

the search function is so incredibly lacking (so you can't find what you're looking for)

you can't even search like in google with " " around the text for a actually targeted search

===

there's thousands other problems that have long been mentioned on the Web

but i can't find them on my notes -- because onenote is a 13y old sofware and is so incredibly limited

there hasn't been any solutions yet for the core problem of finding what you're looking for

--

the problems are no answered, a few of which were:

so you're able to find exactly what you need instantly??

how do you have your notes setup that you're able to find exactly what you need instantly??

the context is obvious but i'll rephrase:

given 1 billion words across your onenote,

* how are you going to find something specific about cats that you know is somewhere in one of the many 100-1000 word notes that are related to cats in all kinds of ways?

* and are sorted into 100+ sections because the value of those information is much more useful and relevant to those particular sections?

We have and we've shown you - you don't like the answer which is very different. For us to help you we need to agree that there is a problem and thus we don't agree that Searching OneNote is a problem. So you will never get the answer you are looking for from us.

OP
D

designbetter

"For us to help you we need to agree that there is a problem"

yep exactly i should've put on the main question that this was meant for ppl that take extensive notes

across all topics and everything in life

and have found a solution to this common problem, which i don't think anyone has so far

may need other solutions like technology needs to improve drastically

or better computer science

or ppl in general actually doing things that matter and make things better

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

yep exactly i should've put on the main question that this was meant for ppl that take extensive notes

and have found a solution to this common problem, which i don't think anyone has so far

We have no solution because we have no problem. The issue clearly lies with you, not the software.

convergent

I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread. Judging from how you've communicated in this thread, you seem to be very disorganized, so that is likely a big part of the problem. Possibly English isn't your first language, but accounting for that, your thoughts are extremely confusing for me to follow; and I've not had that problem in dozens of forums and probably thousands of discussion threads with others. Not meaning to offend, but you may want to look at how you are organizing your thoughts.

If you want to look at other platforms, there is a product called Devonthink Pro Office that has quite impressive search. On my Mac, I've scanned ever document I've received in probably 20 years into that system. It OCRs and indexes everything. It will help me smart file things based on a predictive algorithm, but even unfiled, it is pretty easy to go back and find a receipt or something that I need from several years ago.

As far as organizing and personal workflow, I highly recommend books by the guy that came up with MYN (Manage Your Now). He has a lot of thoughts around how you index information to be able to retrieve it and is a fan of not filing, but just putting everything in one big bin. His main tool he's talking about is Outlook, but it may be that the technique would work for what you are looking for.

Beyond that, I think most of us in this thread have said several times that we do NOT have a problem finding things in OneNote like you describe.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OP isn't actually looking for help....she either has an axe to grind, is a patient SPAMMER who will post to the "solution" or just a garden variety Troll.....I think we can walk away people.

convergent

In case anyone else finds this thread and is looking for additional OneNote organizational ideas... here's a great video on the subject ->