What's new

Thought I Was Ready to Pull the Trigger, They Moved the Target

OP
B

brocharlieb

I guess the 32 gb should do the job, but it's not what I want. I usually hang onto my devices for quite a while (been using my current notebook for six years). I want the larger amount of memory in case over time they come out with some really big apps that I feel like I need. I have no use for the touch cover, and I don't think they're just giving them away with the purchase of the larger machine, so I guess I'll just wait. Thanks everyone.

R0bR

But, the key point from Brother Charlie is - why would Microsoft make such a non-sensical move to require someone to purchase a keyboard with any model??? It makes zero sense and they are actually hurting themselves because they have a customer that wants to spend more money (64gig + type cover) but will be forced to spend less on Microsoft products due to this required touch keyboard. Very very dumb maneuver by Microsoft when all other competitors sell everything separately. Who thinks of this stuff???

Agreed. The issue is not whether 32GB is enough and the fact you can just add a memory card, Microsoft provides options but limit you to choice or personalization. It's not even a matter of type or touch cover it's the fact that they come in different colors and we're forced to black for the 64GB. I wanted a 64GB with Red Type Cover and was forced to take a black one. Such an easy fix, don't bundle a keyboard at all and let the consumer choose.

Rallicat

I think Microsoft should give people the choice as to buy with or without touch cover for both the 32 and 64 models, but we've got what we've got.

Certainly, with the ability to add up to 64GB of extra storage, choosing the lower capacity model won't ever really be a problem. Of course, as others have pointed out, apps can only ever be installed to the internal storage, but unless you plan to really cram the thing full of the more space hungry apps like games, then that won't be a problem.

These days, even with the higher capacities of storage available, HD movies (for example) can chew through space pretty quickly, so you have to manage that - but then the same would be true of the competition also. Beyond that, I wouldn't worry too much about storage.

One final point, is that the Surface has Windows - this is the Ace up it's sleeve. You can browse the network much more easily than on any competing tablet platform. So, what I do is have a large NAS drive on my network, shove all my media on there, and then I can access it wirelessly around my home on my Surface! Work's great, and means my stuff is available on all my PCs and devices. Consider the cloud too - sign up to Skydrive (free) and get some space up there, integrates with Surface really well via the app!

BWepp

I bought the 64GB with Touch cover, an additional Type cover, and a 64GB memory card. I sold the Touch cover (as new) on ebay. It's a more expensive way to do it, but at least I got something back $$ for the Touch cover.

Jeffbx

Same issue here - I bought the 64GB + the type cover, and the touch sits untouched (ironically).

I did mention that to a MS rep at a show I went to, and he agreed that it was rather restrictive & they are considering making the purchase options a little more flexible. Who knows if they actually will....

OP
B

brocharlieb

I may decide I can accept the 32gb option. The price would certainly be better. I'm going to hold off a little while, though.

Russ

Brother Charlie --

One thing I learned in a long business career was never to go against my gut decisions. You said, very definitively, that the 64Gb is what you want. Ultimately, that should be the final criterion. Like you, I keep my laptops for 5 to 6 years, so I am incredibly picky about them. I don't want to spend five years wishing that I had gotten the blue one instead of the brown one. I change desktops a couple of times a year, so I am less concerned about them.

Note that BWepp bought the TypeCover and sold his TouchCover on eBay. So you lose a few bucks on the deal. Amortize that loss over five or six years, and it won't seem like much.

Make your decision for your own reasons, but, in the final analysis, get what you really want.

Take care,
Russ

Gotwald

I bought my 64gb at the Ok City store and got the tactile keyboard for $50. Yep, I have two keyboards. It wasn't a choice. I knew that when I bought it. Do I regret it? Nope. The alternate keyboard is a whole different animal. There is a downside, however. If you flip the cover (tactile keyboard) over when the device opens you have to remove the keyboard. You can't fold it behind the tablet because the keyboard is active. Holding the Surface with the keyboard attached results in unintended key entries. Bummer!

MSurfaceWA

Gotwald, if you are talking about the Type cover (tactile?), i fold it behind the Surface all the time and it never types once its folded back. Maybe its a setting you have to turn on? Mine was like that by default.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Thought I was ready to pull the trigger, they moved the target

The covers have an integrated sensor that should prevent such beheavior, but sometimes it's not 100% right. If this happens regularly try to contact support for an replacement.

OP
B

brocharlieb

Thought I was ready to pull the trigger, they moved the target (update)

If you remember what started this thread, I didn't order myself a Surface, because they make you take a touch cover and I wanted a type cover and thought it was a rip off that you have to take both to get the type cover. I actually still think that's a ripoff...
But, as it turns out, I finally got to put my hands on a Surface, today at Staples. Got to play with it for several minutes. As it turns out, I think I'll be perfectly satisfied with the touch cover for typing. I'm no super speedy typist, and I was quite satisfied with the touch cover. Couldn't do it today, it will probably be a day or two after Christmas. I'm glad I waited, cuz now I know. Oh, and I loved the Surface itself.

Russ

Brother Charlie --

Sounds like a happy ending, indeed! I am a happy owner of Surface with Touch Cover.

Now, we are all looking forward to your enthusiastic report after you finally get it.

Take care,
Russ