What's new

Thoughts on Screen Protectors

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using Surface Devices since the beginning and I've never used a screen protector personally...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto. I have had five Surface devices (traded up each time). Never a scratch or abrasion.

Plantje

I've used a screen protector on my Surface 3, but I went so quickly through them, that I stopped using screen protectors. The same seems to be happening with my Surface Pro.
On my phone I stopped using screen protectors as well. Some minor scratches, but that's what happens when you use a device

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I find it peculiar that my iPhone can show scratches, but my Surface Book 2 15” under heavy touchscreen use never has.

Plantje

It's not that surprising, is it? My phone is constantly in and out of my pocket. I use my Surface Pro a lot, but I tend to be more careful with it. Although, if you look at the presentation of the Surface Pro 3:
:)
Do note: I think that was a wooden floor covered with carpet.

Turbo4AWD

I started using tempered glass screens on my phone because eventually the oleophobic coating wore out on the phone. So a new screen protector meant a new oleophobic coating so I use them without hesitation on my phone. On my Surface Pro 6 though....I dunno, I did get some minor scratches on it, but it's not noticeable during use. Only when it's powered off and they're not really that deep either. So I don't see the need. I had a Surface 3 before this and that one did not suffer from scratches (although it did shatter from a fall) but I never felt the need to add a screen protector to my Surface device. I say it depends on your use case and how "threatened" the screen is in the environment you use it in.