What's new

Thoughts on where MS is heading with mobile?

kojack

I am on the verge of jumping ship to apple for my phone. Before I spend the money on the phones, I want to hear of others on the state of windows mobile......Do you think MS is ditching it? I love the 950xl and 950 as devices....but I am scared to make a big purchase like that just to have MS pull the plug on the OS leaving me with 2 devices not worth a fiddlers .......

I would buy 2 tomorrow if I had some kind of encouragement that yes, MS is actually doing things with the mobile OS, trying to expand it. But as I read now, its just stagnating. I love w10m on my 1020....and I love how the OS works, but not having apps that I need for work....and finding work arounds for it, I may not want to stick around.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 Mobile is a SKU, it will be deployed on mobile form factors from 3.8" all the way to 10" devices...some of these devices will capable of making phone calls due the hardware on those units.

Windows 10 devices that have Continuum Capabilities will be targeted at Enterprise Customers, but are suitable for consumers as well.

OP
kojack

kojack

I understand that. But MS has recently come out and stated that they are not focusing any attention on mobile. I see this as they are giving up on it and just letting it slide/die. what are your thoughts on that? If this is the case, obviously dev's are not going to bother...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that. But MS has recently come out and stated that they are not focusing any attention on mobile. I see this as they are giving up on it and just letting it slide/die. what are your thoughts on that? If this is the case, obviously dev's are not going to bother...
You asked where they were headed, this is where they are going. The are making strides with new Redstone Builds, UWA is the strategy for the whole platform...Xbox, x86 and Mobile. Just some will be capable of making phone calls.

They have lost the consumer space, they know it but Productivity and Enterprise is theirs, so making Windows 10 Mobile the go to mobile platform for enterprises is their strategy.

Plantje

The OS is great; that's my personal opinion.
Where MS is heading? They are moving away from making mobile phone hardware. What is left is now part of the division that makes the Surface line. And I think they will be moving further away from making mobile phone hardware; perhaps even from tablets and convertibles. If you look at Computex you see the Surface line is more a reference design for their partners.

Getting back to the topic: MS will continue to support Windows 10 Mobile. They will continue to develop is. But they will not have a strong focus on getting all apps available on the platform. I read some where that the top 6 apps is used in 91% of the time or so.
I think it is a pity though. Every time here in the Netherlands when a company shouts:" Download our app now!" it is only iOS and Android. So, if apps are important to you: go iOS or Android. If not and you like a good OS: go Microsoft!

On a side note I do think the new Windows 10 Mobile needs to be polished to get a better all round and consistent user experience.

SEANT

The insight of this article is interesting:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsofts-commitment-windows-mobile-goes-beyond-apps

Microsoft probably should have committed to enterprise more fully, more sooner. :)

The article describes ‘3 big bets’ Microsoft has now made with Continuum, UWP, and Bot Framework. All designed to facilitate the Microsoft vision of mobile, cloud connected future.

A pretty good vision, I believe. No doubt, that is the future of computing.

If I have any problem with the plan, though, it’s that it does not pay reverence to the current x86 landscape. It seems focused on productivity while using a Desktop, or a Tablet, or a phone, (or an Xbox).

Perhaps Microsoft could find success earlier with attention towards productivity whilst using a Desktop and a Tablet and a phone, together. Allow enterprise to enhance the value of their current Software/Hardware investment with the addition of a cooperative devise(s). That encouragement towards the Microsoft future may be more immediately palatable.

The Microsoft future is a grand vision. But a fixation on the view of the mountain can trip you up without an occasional look at the trail in front of you.