What's new

Three questions (Why did MS do these things?)

OP
J

Judgeless

You crayyyyzzyy GoodBytes, I don't know if ALL laptops sleep/awaken automatically when the lid is closed, but all the ones I've ever owned do (including macbooks). In windows there is a setting for controlling that though.

Same here.

We also need a light on the edge of the SP to show when it's sleeping vs off, because you never know if the thing is hibernating or sleeping so you hit the keys and expect it to wake up but it doesn't and then eventually you think 'it must be hibernating or crashed' and then hit the power button.

That would be a great feature.

jrhillma

My Surface sleeps when the Type Cover is shut, but doesn't automatically wake again when opened... I have to hit the power button.

You can get the original Touch Cover pretty cheap now, I'd get that if you wanted just a cover on its own.

On my SP2 with Type 2 cover, it sleeps almost as soon as the cover is closed. It will wake if I hit the enter key (after the backlights come on) or if I hit the power button. Every once in a while, though, the enter key doesn't work and when I use the power button to wake it, the Type 2 cover is non-functional. Then I have to snap it off and back on and all is good again. Mildly irritating, but this thing is so much more functional than my iPad that I'm not complaining...yet.

revmike

My Surface sleeps when the Type Cover is shut, but doesn't automatically wake again when opened... I have to hit the power button.

You can get the original Touch Cover pretty cheap now, I'd get that if you wanted just a cover on its own.

I bought a used touch screen off of eBay just for that purpose. It was supposed to be broke, but to my surprise it works and it only cost $12.00 including shipping.

CrippsCorner

I wish I had this functionality, too often have I discovered a red hot surface in my backpack, after closing the lid, waiting 3 minutes and then putting it in.

I think this is more a case of it coming back on again when the power button is accidentally hit rather than it not going to sleep at all in the first place.

I know this is going to sound stupid... but as a way of knowing if your Surface has really gone to sleep after folding the cover up, you could be playing a song or a movie and then if the sounds stops, bingo!

Devolver

I think this is more a case of it coming back on again when the power button is accidentally hit rather than it not going to sleep at all in the first place.

I know this is going to sound stupid... but as a way of knowing if your Surface has really gone to sleep after folding the cover up, you could be playing a song or a movie and then if the sounds stops, bingo!

lol good idea and very old school.