What's new

Throttling - Time to put it to bed

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Throttling - Time to put it to bed. The iPad Air Throttles down to 77% of max on sustained test.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/2

thermals.png

iPad Air obviously maintains the highest frequencies for the duration of the test. The iPhone 5S, with a significant reduction in internal volume (and a PoP SoC) reduces its CPU frequencies early on in order to keep skin temperature down and properly manage thermals. The iPad mini with Retina Display falls between the two, with its performance curve more closely following that of the iPhone 5S.

They ALL Throttle, nuff said.

wynand32

Excellent, thanks. That's been my impression overall with every machine I've used, and indeed it makes some sense: after all, doesn't throttling exist for a reason? If machines weren't meant to throttle as part of overall thermal management strategies, then Intel and other processor manufacturers wouldn't build the capability into their chipsets. Instead, they'd probably just rate their chips for lower temps and have a safety cutoff to avoid catastrophic failure (e.g., when a machine turns on accidentally in a car with ambient temps of 120 deg. F or greater).

It seems to me that throttling provides a good mix of maximum performance when really needed by increasing operating parameters, but avoiding extremely limited lifespans by providing a means to managed thermal performance. I know that I'd rather have an SP3 that's as thin and light as it is and that throttles when it needs to, but that's capable of bursts of higher performance when I really need it--as opposed to simply hard-limiting the performance or making a thicker and heavier machine.

Liam2349

Exactly, but there many things in the SP3 that makes it better than SP2 for some users.

Yes, but in terms of hardcore performance and throttling, SP2 wins. By quite a lot.

I'm sure I will prefer SP3 over all, but this is one of the drawbacks.

ctitanic

Yes, but in terms of hardcore performance and throttling, SP2 wins. By quite a lot.

I'm sure I will prefer SP3 over all, but this is one of the drawbacks.
Drawback? That depends on the user and what the machine is used for. And even after all that is something that is not noticeable to new users. Only ex Pro 2 owners and no allot them are noticing this. Again, all depend on the use.

Liam2349

Drawback? That depends on the user and what the machine is used for. And even after all that is something that is not noticeable to new users. Only ex Pro 2 owners and no allot them are noticing this. Again, all depend on the use.

Come on man, whether you use the extra power or not, you can't say a decrease in hardcore performance is a good thing.

It's something the SP2 undeniably has over SP3. Whether it matters is up to you, but it is a drawback.

ctitanic

Come on man, whether you use the extra power or not, you can't say a decrease in hardcore performance is a good thing.

It's something the SP2 undeniably has over SP3. Whether it matters is up to you, but it is a drawback.
I'm just saying that only few users care or are affected.

kundas1

Frank I luv ur passion, LOL but liam is right, for others out there that are power users they need all the power they can get and the SP3 falls a little short from the heavy throttling... but that doesn't make the SP3 a bad device, not by a long shot!

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frank I luv ur passion, LOL but liam is right, for others out there that are power users they need all the power they can get and the SP3 falls a little short from the heavy throttling... but that doesn't make the SP3 a bad device, not by a long shot!
heavy throttling is inaccurate. the i5 stabilized at 86% of max.

I believe that tests conducted using firmware prior to 8/19 may be invalid.