What's new

Throttling

gman713

I know there were a ton of posts about this issue when the SP3 was first introduced but wanted to ask you guys if MS has made any improvements to the issue over the past several months? I'm thinking about getting the SP3 or go back to the SP2 if the throttling hasn't been improved.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its improved and vastly overblown, everything throttles nowadays... everything. It's part of the equation in modern system building that allows them to design closer to the edge, otherwise they would have to build it more conservatively to start with.

ptrkhh

I know, the OG Surface Pro, together with all Ivy Bridge tablets, throttles. But I was specifically talking about the SP2.

Come on! It does it, just less and at a different temperature.
Not in the actual usage, whatever the scenario is. It only throttles when you put multiple synthetic benchmark programs simultaneously. Correct me if Im wrong, of course.

To answer the OP, yes, the SP3, apart from the i3 model, does throttle, and sadly, the situation couldn't be improved without modifying the hardware. The fan can only do so much. Even with the fan running at full speed (does it even have multiple speed profiles? I can only hear a) nothing or b) fan whirring loudly), the CPU still gains temperature, until eventually reaching its temperature limit. They could make it throttle less, of course, by letting the CPU stay at just below its limit for longer, but don't expect to fully unleash the potential of the processor anytime soon.

You could consider hardware modification, like the custom fan (http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/custom-fan-to-reduce-throttling.10996/)

Important to note, the i5 model doesn't get any slower than the i3 model (which doesnt throttle) in most situations, so if you set your expectation on the i3-4020Y, you wouldn't be disappointed with the i5 SP3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually the August Firmware did change the Throttling profile of the SP3 so all of the early writing on the topic is invalid.
Ref Page 3 of Procthrottlemax thread...
ProcThrottleMax, Powercfg setting

So they chose 70c in the SP3 vs 80c in the SP2 but from all the testing I did they could have gone higher, probably even to 80+ and maintained stable operation but they went conservative. Lenovo runs the X1 much hotter, right up to the limit and yes, it throttles also, its baked into the design.

InspectHerGadget

I haven't the slightest concern about the throttling but then my usage is for general purpose such as browsing, email, inking and my accounting package, Word, Excel.

It is the i7 model and it is very fast and mostly a pleasure to use.

I can understand though if you are using it for gaming throttling may be an issue as it is running flat out for extends periods.

ptrkhh

So they chose 70c in the SP3 vs 80c in the SP2 but from all the testing I did they could have gone higher, probably even to 80+ and maintained stable operation but they went conservative. Lenovo runs the X1 much hotter, right up to the limit and yes, it throttles also, its baked into the design.
Its also important to note that a tablet couldn't resist as much heat as laptops. The reason is because the CPU sits right behind the display, and the display is quite sensitive to such high temperature. That's the reason why tablets cant run as fast as laptops even though they have an identical CPU and thickness.

RémiM

Its also important to note that a tablet couldn't resist as much heat as laptops. The reason is because the CPU sits right behind the display, and the display is quite sensitive to such high temperature. That's the reason why tablets cant run as fast as laptops even though they have an identical CPU and thickness.

The best thing I've read in a while. I totally agree with what you said.

I tried to find the references of the display, just to check its range of temperatures, but it looks easier to speak on the phone with B. Obama.

Haldi

I tried to find the references of the display, just to check its range of temperatures, but it looks easier to speak on the phone with B. Obama.

Never tought about that!
Have you given up on finding anything or are you still searching?