What's new

Tile Rows on Surface RT

Sin

Very nice job! The monitor size of 12.1 & 125dpi work great. Nice to have 4 rows and still have a decent sized on-screen keyboard. Thanks.

joga

Aw: Tile rows on Surface RT

I have installed the updates from today, incl. System Firmware and the 4 tiles are still there.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Settelma

How come on my Surface I do not see a file called "scaling" under Explorer? I selected view all hidden files, am I missing something?

Nutball

Somehow, I posted this in the wrong thread, so now I've moved it to the one I intended to reply to.

Just curious to see if anyone else has had anything happen recently with the number of tile rows. Last night, after firing up the Surface, I noticed the start page looked different and the tiles weren't in the same configuration. For some reason, I had 4 rows of tiles (see image).

screenshot.jpg

I have not made any changes such as a registry hack to cause this.

This morning, I am back to the normal 3 rows of tiles. Weird. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Last edited:

ZachBui

Usually when you start the surface with the cover closed on it. Another instance is when the main graphics driver crashes, and it uses the basic one instead

Nutball

Usually when you start the surface with the cover closed on it. Another instance is when the main graphics driver crashes, and it uses the basic one instead

I believe I did start it with the cover closed. Learn something new about these devices every day.

DanielN

Increase the number of rows in the Start Screen/Metro on the Surface Pro from 3 to 5

I didn't like how the default metro screen was still only 3 rows big on our 1080 screen, so I figured out how to increase it to five rows...

Make a registry file called MetroRows.reg with this inside the file:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid]
"Layout_MaximumAvailableHeightCells"=dword:00000005
"Layout_AvailableHeightCells"=dword:00000005

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
"MonitorSize"="12.7"
And then double click and import it into the registry. Then reboot. Also rotate the Surface Pro to Portrait, open the charm bar and select Settings, select Tiles and then turn on Show more tiles. It does make the on-screen keyboard slightly smaller, but I rather have more rows on my HD screen.

To undo this, make a new registry file called MetroDefault.reg:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid]
"Layout_MaximumAvailableHeightCells"=dword:00000003
"Layout_AvailableHeightCells"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
"MonitorSize"=-
And then double click the file and reboot.