What's new

Time to RMA SP2 due to the mSD-battery drain bug?

eee

So, the bug associated with micro SD cards still hasn't been fixed, so can't we just RMA the product and ask for money back or a trade for an SP3?

At least in some countries in Europe, the manufacturer has 3 chances to fix a problem, otherwise have to refund the customer.

Zkyevolved

Hmm... Interesting... I never thought of it. I believe that this is true throughout Western Europe. I just started having battery drain issues and high CPU usage. I took out my micro sd on Wednesday to see if this issue disappears. Today I wanted to plug it in to see if it is still there. I mean, I never had this issue until this week. Strange, right? 7 months in. Microsoft wanted to give me a replacement, but I said I'd wait to see.

OP
E

eee

Yeah.. it seems they won't fix this problem and then that makes the product unusable for me. I get less than 4hrs battery life because of it. So I'll probably end up letting them send me three replacements and then demand a refund because this problem seems to be present in all SP2s.

yeewiz

I've got an SP2 512 and a 64GB micro SD card. I'm not noticing abnormal battery life nor high CPU usage. Anything I have to do to launch this bug?

Zkyevolved

I've got an SP2 512 and a 64GB micro SD card. I'm not noticing abnormal battery life nor high CPU usage. Anything I have to do to launch this bug?

Wrong question. The question SHOULD say "What shouldn't I do?"

I honestly don't know. So ... I don't know! I noticed that my battery was draining, but it could be related to bittorrent sync keeping my tablet in sync with my server and desktops. So I exited out of BTSYNC to see. But it only showed up once in powercfg /energy

Philtastic

The mSD card bug is a problem with their implementation of USB 3.0 such that the mSD reader erroneously interacts with the audio driver. The high CPU usage by the "System" process, often around 24-30%, occurs irregularly when you wake your device from sleep or hibernate with an mSD card inserted into the device. I myself have this problem as well.

A bypass for this problem is to, when you detect high CPU usage, reboot your Surface which will clear the issue. Of course, this means closing all your programs that you might be working with at the time. If you need to finish something prior to rebooting, you can make the high CPU usage go away by loading a song into your music player of choice, eg. XBox Music, iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc. By that, I mean start playing a song but you can pause it (leave the player open, however). You will find that, as long as the audio driver is engaged, the high CPU usage disappears.

Last edited:

Philtastic

As far as I can tell, it has existed at least since December. Not sure if it's been around before that. Other high CPU usage for no reason scenarios have been around since the beginning, however.

GoodBytes

From what I can see from this forum and other Surface forum, is that some people have the problem others don't.
Now it is inconclusive to come to an answer, but it looks like that it depends on the memory card (to me that is) (maybe the controller inside or the firmware of the microSD card?).
I am not saying that the issue is not with the Surface Pro 2, as it should, like other devices, work properly and have no issues, no mater the card.
But if someone knows that they can buy and return a card of different make and willing to try 2-3 times, it might be worth a shot.