What's new

To all college students that has the surface pro 3

jake

Do you have any issue when going to class and connect to different hotpot on campus wireless at different building and location ? does the wireless keep dropping off ?

How about the battery life ?

Have you use the pen in any math class ( like calculus, statistic, physics) and writing essays then translate it to word and excel ? how about the math symbols does that translate well?

Thanks

RémiM

Hi,

I use my university wireless without any problem. When I change building, my SP3 follows the move and connect by itself seamlessly.

I give my material science classes with the SP3 plugged into the proj, and use my pen a lot to write everything on OneNote... Text, figures, equations, etc... It works great. It displays everything I am doing to my entire class of students.

I never tried to translate equations from OneNote to word and Excel. But I saw something today that will might answer your questions:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36777

Hope this will help you !

Liam2349

First one will probably depend on how your school set up their network.

I get 7.5 to 9 hours of onenote, IE, many PDFs...

I use the pen for all my math work (I study Physics).

Office struggles to translate advanced mathematics to typed equations, but can handle simple stuff. I don't hand write my reports, although you could and then convert to text, but I type them as it's faster for me.

For typing neat notes, I use OneNote 2013 - the equation editor in Office is really good.

everalm

Hint, battery life will be better if you use Windows Metro apps such as IE, for me they are noticeably more power efficient. In general I see battery life go from circa 6.5 to about 8 hours. YMMV depending on build, there does SEEM to have been a degree of inconsistency in QA with the first run of SP3's. So far, touch wood, I have had none of the issues some others have reported.

kundas1

although I'm not a college student, I still think I can answer your question regarding my SP3 connecting to different wifi's hot spots and I can tell you that my device has no problems connecting as I connect to Mc Donald's, Tim Horton's, IGA super markets and my own phones hot spot and several other places and not once have I had trouble connecting... as you can see I connect to many many different places and nothing to report on... ;)

Zog1971

I can only talk about the wifi, but here at Mizzou my SP3 connects to the wifi wherever I go on campus with zero problems. I don't use it at all for math, but am loving using one note for class notes and sketches of design projects. Every so often the pen skips while taking a note, but it happens so little that I don't mind it at all. Have been able to print out the notes if a hard copy is needed by a teacher without any trouble. Overall, I highly recommend the SP3 for college students!!

I get pretty good battery life probably around 9 hours. One note metro is pretty weak you really need the desktop version as it has the option for you to record lectures and when you play it back it follows along. The only thing that sucks about the surface is fingerprints. I know you can put a screen protector on but it will get messed up with the pen.

However, SP3 is great for college and it definitely helps me tremendously with my studies.

TeknoBlast

I've connected to my house WiFi and then to work WiFi without any issues. If I do, it ends up being a router issue.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No wifi issues here that are not universally present in the universities system already.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone you just made up my mine about keeping the 2 surface for my 2 college students.
This is good news! I'm sure they will be super excided at Christmas but... if they are in college now they could be getting good use of them for the remainder of the term. Id propose a special limited, family moment, Christmas in October. They will be floored, be sure to record it.

Congratulations!