What's new

To Surface 3 or not to...

donniedub

I currently have a Surface Pro 2 that use at work and it has honestly been pretty buggy, dropping wireless frequently, but most recently it has been blue screening on me multiple times a day. I restored and rebuilt it but to no avail. I am approved for a new pc and I want to go with a Surface Pro 3 i7 256GB with 8GB of Ram but I am a little hesitant to go with it because of my issues with the 2. Has anybody been in a similar situation? Any advice? Should I go with the 3? Help!

Thanks!

Neko

I just changed from a mac book and am absulutely satisfied. Best choice ever!
I only have the hibernation bug (after deep sleep, my wifi has limited conectivity) but so i switch wifi off and on again and everything is fine (5 GHz).
I use it eg for video editing and have no temperature problems so far.
Right now i am connected to my TV and my family is watching ninja turtles from my microSD on the connected TV and me, I am surfing and rendering.

InspectHerGadget

I currently have a Surface Pro 2 that use at work and it has honestly been pretty buggy, dropping wireless frequently, but most recently it has been blue screening on me multiple times a day. I restored and rebuilt it but to no avail. I am approved for a new pc and I want to go with a Surface Pro 3 i7 256GB with 8GB of Ram but I am a little hesitant to go with it because of my issues with the 2. Has anybody been in a similar situation? Any advice? Should I go with the 3? Help!

Thanks!
I would send it to Microsoft for attention and buy the SP3 then sell it.

The SP3 has a few glitches but nothing too much. Keyboard occasionally forget's it's attached. Palm rejection for pen occasionally messes up a little bit. The cursor occasionally jumps from where you are typing to somewhere else. Aside from a few issues with the palm rejection which rarely happened on the SP2, these little glitches have been there since the original Pro. It isn't as polished as a MacBook but I now use it instead of my MBA 11. It is a great little machine.

Dblkk

I'd say wifi issues will be the same. Everything else is fine with the sp3. I to a few weeks ago had sp1 problems, which led to my sp3. Microsoft/best buy gave me original value for sp1 (still under 1 year warranty on my last sp1, since ive gone through 4 since release date) and I immediately went to sp3. Had problems, went through 3 returns on sp3. Tried Lenovo yoga 2 pro, nice laptop bad tablet no pen bad battery. Went back to sp3, tried twice. Problems with each. Tried MacBook pro retina 13, loved it, hated mac os, installed windows, spent all time in windows. Not a tablet, went back to sp3. Went through 3 more, finally got a sp3 that works. Have had a few weeks now, love it. Never a second guess I would. Sucks I and a lot of others have to go through a bunch before they get one that works, but when you do, worth it. Sadly nothing else has capabilities of the surface, and if those capabilities are what you need, then you got to deal with some lemons before you get your lemonade.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm lucky my i7 has been lemonade the whole time. In two months I've had one incidence of limited connectivity on the WiFi, other than that its been perfect

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

Attachments

• 71YmJL-xDTL._SX522_.jpg
    71YmJL-xDTL._SX522_.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 426
  • 511Ha0MaElL._SL1000_.jpg
    511Ha0MaElL._SL1000_.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Kif

Thanks!

I would recommend buying somewhere with a solid return policy and trying it out. I haven't experienced one blue screen in four months and I use my SP3 40+ hours a week. I had a few wireless issues when hyper-v was enabled so I restored my system to factory new and didn't enable hyper-v and haven't had an issue since then. I just returned back from a trip and I didn't have any wireless issues at airports, hotels, workplaces etc.... So I would expect your system should work pretty flawlessly. But if it doesn't just return it. ;)

InspectHerGadget

i haven't had any issues with my i7. I connect with a dozen wireless networks every week as I visit sites and connect my SP3.

It is pretty solid.

Dblkk

The last two WiFi firmware updates have fixed all but the very seldom WiFi issues. I say seldom, as my case I use sp3 from 700am until 9pm with a few breaks in between and switch between home/car/work/several clients/phone/school/public wifi, and I experience an issue once every few days. And to fix my WiFi occurrences I just change from the 5ghz to 2.4ghz instead of reboot or troubleshooting to restart WiFi adapter, which works every time

Arizona Willie

At this point in time, I would wait for the Surface 4 unless I just absolutely NEEDED a tablet RIGHT NOW.

That being said, I'm still using my Surface Pro I and am quite happy with it and see no need to upgrade ( for me ). Does what I want and short battery life of about 4 hours is not a problem for me because I am rarely not within arms reach of an electrical outlet. Take it with me when I leave the house going anywhere I might have to wait and those outings are always less than 4 hours so ... no problem.

Kif

At this point in time, I would wait for the Surface 4 unless I just absolutely NEEDED a tablet RIGHT NOW.

Hard to image the SP4 is right around the corner. Just a few boardwell devices have trickled out and they're not lighting the world on fire. Smart money would be to see the next model 'surfacing' sometime next spring at the earliest.