What's new

To those who get more than 6 hours....

Do you have the same battery?

• Total voters

SeanP

I'm going to test the 20-30% brightness now. It is so dim I strain to see what is on the screen, and I'm not really in a bright office setting. In my own office with the shades drawn and very little light.

I suspect most people that are on battery are on the move and in brighter areas so it's doubtful 20-30% is even doable.

Don't get me wrong..I'm good with 5.5-6.5 hours. It's at the minimum edge of acceptable for a full powered machine like this, but Microsoft has GOT to be kidding with the hours they advertise. No way you can get that with power users who need to be productive. Zero chance.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to test the 20-30% brightness now. It is so dim I strain to see what is on the screen, and I'm not really in a bright office setting. In my own office with the shades drawn and very little light.

I suspect most people that are on battery are on the move and in brighter areas so it's doubtful 20-30% is even doable.

Don't get me wrong..I'm good with 5.5-6.5 hours. It's at the minimum edge of acceptable for a full powered machine like this, but Microsoft has GOT to be kidding with the hours they advertise. No way you can get that with power users who need to be productive. Zero chance.
UP TO x Hours video or light web usage. If you run the automated industry standard test it meets that spec.

Marketing speak is as universal as a laugh or a scowl.

SeanP

UP TO x Hours video or light web usage. If you run the automated industry standard test it meets that spec.

Marketing speak is as universal as a laugh or a scowl.

Agreed. What is interesting is that when I turn off the wifi on a cross country flight, and watch a movie that I purchased from the Xbox store, I can watch two movies, back to back, and still have close to 50% left and my brightness is set on 75% or higher. I consider that excellent.

However, what really STINKS is the fact that those same movies, for whatever reason, lately, stutter now all the time. Every 10-15 seconds it will stutter for 1-2 seconds and a flash of light happens at the bottom of the screen. THAT is annoying and I have decided to download iTunes and watch from the iTunes player that gives me zero issues, albeit I suppose my battery life will suffer somewhat.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. What is interesting is that when I turn off the wifi on a cross country flight, and watch a movie that I purchased from the Xbox store, I can watch two movies, back to back, and still have close to 50% left and my brightness is set on 75% or higher. I consider that excellent.

However, what really STINKS is the fact that those same movies, for whatever reason, lately, stutter now all the time. Every 10-15 seconds it will stutter for 1-2 seconds and a flash of light happens at the bottom of the screen. THAT is annoying and I have decided to download iTunes and watch from the iTunes player that gives me zero issues, albeit I suppose my battery life will suffer somewhat.

Have you considered a MUI video player? I think there is now a MUI VLC app. What were you using before that displayed these problems?

SeanP

Have you considered a MUI video player? I think there is now a MUI VLC app. What were you using before that displayed these problems?
I
I am using the video player that it standard with the SP3...Metro Video player if that is what they call it. Shows you all the movies in your collection and lets you buy from that app itself.

I like it. Movies look more clear using that than with iTunes but at this point I just want to watch the movie and not be annoyed with all the jumping around. I bought and downloaded Interstellar and was PISSED that it kept doing that. Gave up on it and watched Fury from iTunes instead.

I'm curious now about the MUI video player..forgive me but what is that and how would I download it? Will it work with my existing collection I have already purchased online from the Xbox or iTunes store?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
MUI as in modern user interface. Same as what the metro video player is. VLC has always been my goto for video players, but have yet to try their MUI variant. The app you select will dictate whether it works with online purchases, i've never tried as i've never bought a film online and do not plan to do so.

Gerke

Getting arround 9 hours. Starting a 6 am walking to the trainstation, playing local stored music through my bluetooth sony mw600 attached to my Grado SR80i headphones. At 6.20 boarding my train, watch 1080p local movie or series through Mobile.HD player. At 6.45 arrival at station. Switching to xbox music again. Walk 5 minutes. At 7 logging on to wifi at work, starting my Rdp session and starting to work. Meanwhile still listening to music via bluetooth, now connected to a bt stereo at the office. At 3.30 pm leaving work, again xbox music, train watching further movie/serie. 4.30 getting home. Connect my Sp3 with my powersupply, or docking.

Most work through remote desktop. When in a meeting I always use my pen and onenote.

Using remote desktop probably saves my battery in stead of using everything locally.

I'm happy with this.

Last to mention. Close your programms/apps when not using. Disable background possibilities for all programms/apps that you think they don't need

Gerke

batterijSP3.PNG

I also have SIMPLO battery and my SP3 is about 3 months old.

My full charge capacity shows 40888 mWh with 35 cycles. That is 96.99% of the design capacity of 42157 mWh.

This means my battery has lost 3.1% of capacity with just 35 cycles.

So, if I assume my battery will degrade at the same rate (I'm not sure if it will or not) and do a simple math, my battery will have only 57% of capacity left after 500 cycles.

Didn't MSFT claim charging 5 times a week for 4.5 years and still have 80% of battery capacity left?!?! That is over 1000 cycles!

At the rate my battery is degrading, I don't see how that is even remotely possible.

OP
C

cemian

Wowwww....i didnt even notice that aspect....mine also has a full charge capacity lower than the design capacity about the same amount as yours!! and my SP3 is also about 3 months old. ...what a coincidence!!!!

Wowwww....i didnt even notice that aspect....mine also has a full charge capacity lower than the design capacity about the same amount as yours!! and my SP3 is also about 3 months old. ...what a coincidence!!!!

So the real question is, will our batteries degrade at the same rate. If so, there is no way our batteries will be at 80% capacity after 4.5 years as MSFT claims.

I'll keep an eye on mine and if it goes below 90% within 1 year (warranty period), I'll ask MSFT to replace mine.