What's new

Today's firmware update 6/23/2015

cliffr39

So, had the 5/14 update at 4am and again just an hour ago. Wonder why so many ... still waiting for the June update to appear. Hopefully when that is installed it doesn't prompt me for the 5/14 ;)

Grumpy2

I am also getting white flashes every time I turn on or restart my SP3. Anyone else experiencing this?
This has been happening to me since the May Firmware update. Did not happen before that update. Another example of the sheer incompetence of the software people at Microsoft. I think some of these Microsoft software people need to quit their job and go and do something else. The people at Microsoft who are responsible for updates/software/firmware are just sheer incompetent in my opinion. Time for the CEO to start getting rid of the dead wood and getting in some new people.

Grumpy2

If you do not have it then you are lucky but even one of the mods here reported having it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris

Anyone find an external link to download this yet? still not showing up on my device and MS hasn't put it up for download. Using 10147 and only update I get is Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.201.187.0). I get this every single time I check for updates.

Kif

The 3.5mm audio jack stopped working on my SP3 docking station after applying this update. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

xbliss

Unfortunately, the white flashes have started. Not a usage issue, but given the history of such things (monitors, other GPUs on thinkpads etc), I am a bit concerned longer term, even though its not a bother short term.

PS: Can we all share and post the "Tech Info" of people who are getting the flashes v/s those who are not? Also, I notices some people mention having Samsung SSD.. I got this update that points towards a WD SSD?
Western Digital Technologies - WD SES Device - 37 KB

Should we start a separate thread of TRACK & RESEARCH this particular FLASH thing as a survey? Or maybe just a hardware survey of what "drives" are different?

Well after the disaster with the May 2015 Firmware update ( I now get two white flashes every time I turn on or wake my device) I will not be doing any more updates. (If it is not broke why fix it.) It is obvious to me that the people at Microsoft have not a clue as to what they are doing. If they did they would not be continually putting out updates. The software people at Microsoft really need to lift their game and improve the quality of the software/firmware that they are releasing. I have all of my devices (computers/phones/tablets not to do automatic updates and have so for the last ten to fifteen years). In the business world I have seen too many disasters caused by people who cannot write software properly. Unfortunately I do not trust people who are Developers/ software engineers/programmers etc anymore. By continually installing updates all you are doing is creating more problems than you are solving. And it becomes a never ending merry go round. Perhaps a bit more accountability from people who work in the IT industry would help. And all of these updates eat into the available space on your device.
Grumpy - I did not install they May updates or anything in between and I still get the double flash.

Still haven't gotten this update, just the same defender update over and over. I really think 10147 is broken. Has anyone gone back to 10130 and gotten the update?
It SHOWS up at the very bottom.. you will have to scroll down.. I had a huge list of updates that I "unchecked" and chose this after the WD update.
I am also getting white flashes every time I turn on or restart my SP3. Anyone else experiencing this?
Welcome to the club :)
I successfully downloaded the SurfacePro3_150623.msi file and applied it. I checked the versions of the drivers and all looks good.
Are these "updated drivers" in addition to the Firmware Update? I might consider installing them (downloaded already).

The 3.5mm audio jack stopped working on my SP3 docking station after applying this update. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
Another issue :)

Microsoft + Surface team should start an INSIDERS program here.. on these forums to connect with the power users of their Flagship products.
PS: Is there any other forum/ board with more Surface users/ data?

Kif

It makes you wonder if Microsoft can't get it right and they create the whole package how can you expect third party vendors to get it right. Maybe there is a fundamental problem here.

Grumpy2

It makes you wonder if Microsoft can't get it right and they create the whole package how can you expect third party vendors to get it right. Maybe there is a fundamental problem here.
From my many years in the business world I have come across many IT Professionals (Developers/programmers/software engineers) who have attitude problems. They seem to think they know everything and will not listen to anybody. Have seen many IT people sacked for this sort of attitude. I think there is both a cultural and attitude problem at Microsoft which probably can not be solved. Unless of course the entire staff were to be sacked and then the company started again. And that of course is impractical. One of the reasons in my opinion that Nokia got into strife (apart from incompetent management) was the bad attitude of it's IT staff. Continually writing bad software/firmware and then not doing anything about it. And when they could not get their own way went on strike. I think the only way Microsoft can fix it's problems is to clear out the dead wood. I understand that Satya Nadella is going to be making some hard decisions soon. Maybe some more staff may be shown the door.