What's new

Top 5 Killer Apps

Chip

Great article in TechRadar on why there is no Outlook in Windows RT, the alternatives and workarounds.

Why Outlook isn't on Windows RT - and what you can do instead | News | TechRadar

Thank for the link to the article. My take is Microsoft could create a full version of Outlook that could perform as their mail client does (pull mail even in power save mode). Microsoft just refuses to at this point in time. Perhaps if enough people complain Microsoft will devote the resources to make this happen. Have used TouchDown and other apps. I have not found anything that shows other people's availability and meeting room openings when trying to schedule an appointment with multiple people.

kricke

@MHC48

Thank you for the link.
After reaing the article I went to Nitrodesk - TouchDown for ... - and saw that they have an iOS app in the Apple AppStore. As I am fond of their app for Android devices I might try their iOS app and of course, once I have the surface, the Windows RT app.

EziConnect might be another good alternative for the surface.

Thanks again.

Knut

dccorona

Assuming we are talking about Surface RT here, there won't be any other browsers unfortunately, at least not for a while. Microsoft has provided a ridiculously barebones webview tool for devs to use in "metro" apps, and doesn't seem to want anyone using ANYTHING other than IE10, even from within an app that's not a browser. You can display web content, but that's about it really. Any link that opens in another window/tab instead of navigating opens in IE 10, with no way I've been able to find to easily work around this.

As for the virus software everyone is mentioning: windows 8/RT comes with windows defender built in. It's the updated version of microsoft security essentials (one of the best virus protection applications available), so you shouldn't need to worry about virus protection, on RT OR Pro.

As for my top 5:
1. Flipboard (sadly, I don't believe this is even in the works yet)
2. Netflix (already used it, great app)
3. Facebook made BY FACEBOOK (only because they don't allow access to the same newsfeed through their API that users see on the site, so no matter what, Facebooks app will always be better than 3rd party ones)
4. Some sort of unique app that's only available on windows 8, at least to start
5. HBO Go

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
1. Spotify
2. a decent Video/Audioplayer with a wider support on containers (and DLNA would be nice)
3. Keepass
4. a nice RSS-Reader with an option to arange it like magazines/read offline
5. improved microsoft apps: mail app - test pointed out some issues; skydrive: could sync just selected files (depends on how it works in rl for now)

Faustous

I too miss Flipboard.

But I did find a nice news app that reminds me ALOT of Flipboard: Check out Bento

NorthernLitez

What are the top 5 killer apps you would like to see on Surface? I'll get it started.

1. Netflix (we already know it is coming).
2. Google Currents (what can I say I really like it as a reader)
3. Google Voice (to keep up with my contacts)
4. The Impossible Game (can't get enough of it)
5. Tango (video calling)

- FLIPBOARD <----a must
- APPSHOPER shows when apps go on sale and are updated
- Adobe
- Speedtest.net
- BANKING APPS
- IMDB
- SHAZAM or SOUNDHOG
- STUMBLEUPON
- WHITE\YELLOW Pages
- Google Earth
- TomTom and Garmin
- STARWALK <----a must
- Photoshop Touch

Well that's a start anyways.

Last edited:

mosbergh

I received my Surface on the morning of the 26th and have been using it on a business trip, trying to see if I can leave my full Notebook at home (an older Sony VGN-Z, with W8 which works perfectly on it).
From a productivity perspective, I would need LiveMeeting / WebEx / Mikogo (likely all 3 as I consult for major corporations), and a torrent client / WinRAR for entertainment (Zip8 or some other utility may already cover rar unpacking).
Mail RT is a proof of concept application - no searching / binning /calendaring integrated. I make do with the web-version of Outlook, and I understand that outlook.exe is not power-use or standby friendly; nevertheless, MS should give us a serious mail client.

Other than that, I see my bases covered and have solutions or workaround for all I need (with the exception of desktop sharing).

Surface RT is very cool and a keeper.
PS: I had owned an Ipad on day 2 of the initial release - and it never fitted my needs. Gave it to the kids, where it sat doing nothing after the initial excitement - so it went to ebay.

archapacman

1) Microsoft Outlook (a must) they need to convert the 8 version to RT asap
2) Fences. or an alternative desktop app with better organization
3) Flipboard
4) Sketchbook Pro/and or Photoshop
5) Google plus integration with hangouts