What's new

Touch Cover 1st generation

Mirnes_M

Hi.

I’m having some issues with my Touch Cover for my Surface RT 1.st generation. The problem is, every time I attach the touch cover, it won’t recognize it.

Anyone know what the problem is and how I can fix it?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this a new one, recently acquired or have you had it a while and it used to work but recently developed this problem?

OP
M

Mirnes_M

I had it for about 1 year. And in the beginning it worked well no problems. And after 6-7 months it kinda started having the issue. Sometimes it would work and other times it won't. And now it's totally gone. Nothing is broken on it or bend.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look at the pins on the connector... they should be even not different heights and clean. you can clean them with alcohol and a soft cloth. same for the Surface connector those contacts should be flush and not depressed. clean with soft cloth and alcohol.

If its not working after that my guess is, something might have come loose inside the kybd but you'll need to try a different kybd to determine that. no idea what's near to you but you might be able to take both the Surface and keyboard to a store and try with a keyboard there to find out unless you know someone else with one. All the keyboards from any version should work on any Surface regardless of size.

OP
M

Mirnes_M

I tried that now. And the only thing that works are the volume buttons now. And the only work when the tablet is totally flat on the table. I guess that means that the problem is somewhere with the keyboard.
Will the second generation touch covers work on the first generation Surface?

kundas1

this happen to my RT first gen and I could never figure out why it didnt work, but the keyboard worked fine on my S2 RT... I think it has to do with the first Gen devices... still don't know what happened to this day lol

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried that now. And the only thing that works are the volume buttons now. And the only work when the tablet is totally flat on the table. I guess that means that the problem is somewhere with the keyboard.
Will the second generation touch covers work on the first generation Surface?
All Surface keyboards work on any device, the interface and connector are the same.