What's new

touch cover peeling at seam

J515OP

Super Moderator
Wow that is crazy. Definitely bias in that article as the posts are taken out of context (this is a discussion not a list of complaints) to support a specific point of view. Somebody is disappointed with the performance of their Apple stock lately. Buy high sell low much :p

That's not to say there is no issue with the cover because to me it sounds like a faulty design of a thin seem on vinyl coming together at a stress point. This is not uncommon with vinyl seems of that nature. This should only be an issue in the color cover as I understand it since the black is all felt with no such seem.

pbankey

Since CNET seems desperate to find things outside of Apple to report on, I wanted to clarify with anyone coming to this thread from the CNET article that this issue was announced by a whopping TWO people. Yes, two people experiencing a hardware issue with a Microsoft product is apparently news worthy.

I have never been happier with a tablet/computer purchase in my life. Thank you, CNET, for driving people to this community so they can see how happy Surface customers are.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Wow that is crazy. Definitely bias in that article as the posts are taken out of context (this is a discussion not a list of complaints) to support a specific point of view.
Welcome to journalism/media :D
I wonder if there are similar issues with user of typecover.
I own one myself and it doesn't have the sort of "wave" i was able produce on the touchcover, but you can feel the edge of the board through the fabric at the bottom - so maybe wearing off could be a longterm problem.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Lol now doing a Goolge search
kicks up four pages of links covering this...

Amazing

Yep that is how the media works these days. Echo what you see and check to see if there is a valid source only if there is back lash for posting false information.

By the way did you hear Manhattan was completely washed away in Super Storm Sandy and the resulting debris is what caused all on the damage in New Jersey? /s

mblock

Mine still looks good. I would take it to a MS Store and ask to exchange it. I dont see why they wouldnt since it's only been a week.

So I just wanted to chime in here. I had the same issue with the Surface touch cover I bought for my wife and exchanged the cover for a replacement at my Microsoft store (extremely simple and quick process). However, within 24 hours it was peeling back again at the same place. It really seems that the ribbon cable that is clearly passing through that point is causing too much pressure and I suspect all touch covers should be effected if the user naturally folds the cover around back of the device.

On the up side the ribbon cable runs with the curvature of the cover folding so this *shouldn't* cause any functionality issues. Though it is a nerve-racking eye sore :-(

Anyone else experiencing this do a return and see the same issue come back?

archapacman

been folding it back and typing on my lap since I got it. No issues yet. Hopefully Microsoft gets this fix before the media exploits it as a "major" problem

surfacer

Anyone else experiencing this do a return and see the same issue come back?

I exchanged my cyan keyboard for another and so far I have not had the seam issue, but bear in mind that I'm following my own advice described in the previous post about not letting the weight of the Surface rest on the seam.

I also have a black felt keyboard, but have not had an issue with it - though it's much less used. Frankly, I don't know what Microsoft was thinking releasing a felt-back keyboard cover. To me at least, the felt feels cheap (not warm and fuzzy), which is why I bought the cyan keyboard at additional expense.

All this aside, I have to emphasize that I think the Surface, with the Windows 8 live tile interface, is a technological generation ahead of iOS and Android. I'm extremely satisfied with the device and would never think of exchanging it for any other tablet.

Let's hope we don't get quoted out of context again by some in the media that lift our posts.

J515OP

Super Moderator
been folding it back and typing on my lap since I got it. No issues yet. Hopefully Microsoft gets this fix before the media exploits it as a "major" problem

Well even it is a "major problem," it is a problem with the accessory not the tablet. There have been all kinds of accessory failures, both first and third party, in the past and it has not been deemed detrimental to the device, so any reporting that it is a detrimental flaw by MS will be pointedly biased against MS.

This ins't a major problem for the Surface RT tablet itself but it may not be the best quality accessory to choose at the moment. As long as MS continues to replace the covers the tablet is perfectly usable and this can be sorted out much more quickly as an accessory correction than a hardware issue with the tablet itself. No worse than not having lightning connectors/adapters and accessories ready to go out of the gate.

mblock

All this aside, I have to emphasize that I think the Surface, with the Windows 8 live tile interface, is a technological generation ahead of iOS and Android. I'm extremely satisfied with the device and would never think of exchanging it for any other tablet.

Hear hear!

Maybe by agreeing with your sentiment it can be clear to the ambulance chasers that we're not "griping", or "irate", or "complaining" :)

Simply put there seems to be a manufacturing flaw in the touch covers and so far in my experience on the two touch covers I've experienced it on it appears to in no way affect functionality. It appears Microsoft has acknowledged and is handling the situation so I am hanging tight to see what comes of this.

SurfaceFan

I had the same issue with my touch cover - with the material coming undone near the magnetic connection. But I phoned Microsoft Surface Support who directed me to the efficient warranty support website and have a replacement in the post. Simple. No hassles. I am UK based. Great service. They acknowledged it and fixed it.

Great piece of hardware. Totally surprised that the media picked this up as a "big" issue ... obviously trying to sensationalise and get readers to their sites. Shame.

archapacman

Smile pbankey and everyone, you guys are on the news:

Surface tablet 'defect' is way overblown by press: Users say the media is biased - National Technology | Examiner.com

The media is why people get pushed into becoming fan boys. It is the drive that pushes people away or towards a type of mindset. I have owned android, apple, and windows devices. Although my mindset is mostly entrenched in Microsoft's world because of how I grew up with Windows computer, I would never choose to look at things the way the media does.