Touch Cover vs Type Cover

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Accessories' started by mapexvenus, Oct 17, 2012.

1. mapexvenus

mapexvenus New Member

I could never get used to the capacitative touch onscreen keyboard on my iPad or Nexus and I have always used an external keyboard with tactile feedback which works great for me. Therefore, my preference is to order the Type Cover instead of the Touch Cover. Does anyone know if the Type Cover adds additional bulk or weight to the device? Any reason NOT to use the Type Cover? I still want the cool factor :big smile:
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. J515OP

J515OP Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    According to the specs Type Cover will add both bulk and weight.

Touch Cover: 3.25mm thick and ~0.46lbs

Type Cover: 6mm thick and ~0.55lbs

Hard to say what that means in the real world when attached to the tablet. The thickness would probably be noticeable but not necessarily the weight. However, the feel difference may be enough to pick one over the other regardless of these differences.
  3. DarthBurrito

DarthBurrito Active Member

I can type pretty fast on the iPad's touch screen KB. I never had an issue using that.
  4. J515OP

J515OP Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Besides that the touch cover is said to be better than a capacitive screen though not quite a real keyboard. It does have individual keys you can feel and is pressure sensitive so that just resting your fingers on the keys doesn't cause them to type. This should result in faster typing than just touch screen. Early reviews are that the touch cover is very nice to type on.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. mapexvenus

mapexvenus New Member

Thanks for the feedback so far - for me the tactile feedback is really important so type cover it is.
  6. MHC48

MHC48 Member

If nothing else the touch cover will protect the screen. If I can type decently on it too, that will be a plus.
  7. joeaux

joeaux New Member

The few people that have actually touched the Touch Cover and used it a bit say it's pretty good. They all seem to agree you can type faster on it than the onscreen keyboard. As far as the Type Cover, I haven't seen anything specific about how it feels (other than what was said at the Keynote). We'll just have to wait for details. Or wait till next Friday and I'll tell ya!! :D
    -joe-
  8. Chip

Chip New Member

I wonder if the type cover's keys would eventually scratch the glass?
  9. joeaux

joeaux New Member

Good thought. I know the iPad cover that Apple makes doesn't exactly scratch the glass but it does leave annoying marks on it.
    -joe-
  10. vdek

vdek New Member

Impossible, the glass is significantly harder than the plastic keys.
  11. Huffalot

Huffalot New Member

I have a Type cover and been using it a few days, I really like it, I'm not a fast typist but get on with it very well. As far as scratching the screen, it is Gorilla Glass so should be OK. However call me paranoid but I have put a screen protector on it anyway (got a Galaxy Nexus when they launched and it scratched within a week so a little over protective now)
  12. Thunder7

Thunder7 New Member

I can only talk about it from my demo experience as I have not purchased one yet, but in my time at the MS store the other night I really liked the touch keyboard. I was expecting to really dislike it and believed I would prefer the type keyboard, but I was wrong. The touch keyboard worked great, very responsible and accurate, could type at nearly full speed. When I do get mine, it will be with the touch keyboard.
  13. recon0828

recon0828 New Member

I have the touch cover that came with my 64GB surface. It works well but I can't get used to typing on it. I was working in excel for a couple of hours and it definitely made me want the type cover. My mother upgraded to the type cover and it works awesome. I borrowed it for the night and it is way easier to type on. Also didn't see any problems with it scratching the screen. The touch cover I have does leave those annoying dust squares all over everything though.
  14. MSurfaceWA

MSurfaceWA New Member

Type cover for the win! Its almost as good as having a real keyboard and I found it 1000x better than the touch keyboard. I can touch type with it no problem, and it has a very useful trackpad. Highly recommend it.
  15. gjvah

gjvah New Member

I played with both at the MS store, ended up getting the type cover. There is a lot of feedback, considering the super thin profile of the keyboard. Very impressed.
  16. dstrauss

dstrauss New Member

I tried both at a Microsoft Store in DC, and have to say that although the Type Cover was more accurate, in just a few minutes I started to like the Touch Cover. If you view the cover as primarily that, a screen cover, with the added ability to type in a pinch, I'd prefer the Touch Cover by a mile for its thinness and lightness. Besides, when at my desk, I fully intend to use a real keyboard and mouse with the Surface Pro as a full desktop replacement.
    1 person likes this.
  17. badham21

badham21 New Member

I don't reckon they will, well I have one myself and its brilliant.

But back to your point, the keys don't move when its actually touching the screen, so scratching it would be hard, especially considering they are not even sharp in any ways
  18. badham21

badham21 New Member

a problem with the type cover however - what if the keys fell off? I don't want to check if they click back in or not. And also if they fully snapped it would be hard to get a single replacement key
  19. mrasmussen

mrasmussen New Member

I used both at an MS store as well, the type cover did seem almost like a regular keyboard, I could type just as fast as I normally do. The touch cover took a little time to get used to but I think after some time I could type just as fast as the type cover. I would like to carry around both for a week and see what how they felt. Without the ability to do that, I would get the touch cover. Durability is also a good point, the touch cover seems stronger...
  20. 1031982

1031982 New Member

I have tried both out, and even though the touch one is very nice and responsive, I greatly prefer the type cover. I haven't gotten a surface yet, as I am just going to get the Pro and a type cover.
    1 person likes this.