What's new

Touch Cover vs Type Cover

R0bR

I jump between the touch screen and touch cover and can do both at pretty good speeds, even with my onscreen keyboard scaled down a bit from the 4 tile hack. The issue I have with the touch screen is that I miss letters on my left hand at times because of my guitar calluses, touch screen doesn't seem to respond well to them.

pvtpyle75

I picked up the type cover at Best Buy yesterday as part of the Master Card fiasco, so $50 off, figured was a good time to try. I'm really liking the type cover and I feel I can be much more productive when I'm actually trying to do real work (write and review reports in word and do calculations in spread sheets). So I think the type cover will be my daily driver and the touch cover will be my at home/travel cover.

I picked up the type cover at Best Buy yesterday as part of the Master Card fiasco, so $50 off, figured was a good time to try. I'm really liking the type cover and I feel I can be much more productive when I'm actually trying to do real work (write and review reports in word and do calculations in spread sheets). So I think the type cover will be my daily driver and the touch cover will be my at home/travel cover.

That's not surprising. Congrats on getting in on that marketing glitch! Great thing to get with it. I would have gotten more and re-sold them at something around $100. You make a profit, and whoever buys them get's a deal.

Ashles

I tried the touch vs type cover in John Lewis. No competition in my opinion.
Touch cover was better than I expected, but a few typos. But the Type cover was amazing! Felt like a completely normal keyboard. I wasn't expecting much key travel due to the thinness of the keyboard, but there was ample to give a normal typing experience. In my quick test I made no typos. Very impressed.

One note for anyone hoping to test them in John Lewis - have a look in the display case first. I asked if I could have a look at the Type cover, the assistant said they only had the 'different colour' keyboards. I pointed to the display case and said 'That one - the one that says "Type Cover" on the box.'
He looked confused. Clearly he hadn't seen them before or realised there was actually a different type of keyboard.

ehuffaker

Used the Touch cover for the first two months. Caught the boss in a good mood three days ago and he came back from lunch and dropped a Type on my desk. The Type cover totally transformed the Surface for me. I was wearing out the backspace key on the Touch, with the Type I'm back to my normal fast-typing self.

With the Touch I had to slow down and watch my fingers. With the Type I can keep my eyes on the screen.

Gorilla Glass -vs- plastic? I ain't chancing it. I have a piece of fabric cut from one of those reusable shopping bags that I insert between the screen and the keys during transport. When/if I get a film protector for the screen I'll ditch the fabric but 'till then...

E

Corrosive

I figured I'd chime in here:

I do a lot of typing on my surface in class and the touch cover was starting to get to me. I was good enough but only at about 70% of my usual typing speed. After reading through this forum, I ordered a type cover on ebay (about $85) and am EAGERLY waiting for it to come in.

I know ehuffaker mentioned cutting a fabric cover (GREAT IDEA!) but has anyone just left it as is for some time? I don't mind the whole fabric thing but it seems like more of a hack to what is already one of the best designed products in years.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
I've had a microfiber-fabric between screen and my typecover for about a month, but i couldn't get bothered no more and there are no scratches/marks on the screen, while using/transporting it on a regular basis.

vicbush

Anyone with a colored touch cover want to chime in on the durability and cleanliness of the cover? Are they easy to clean? I kind of like the red one, but I'm thinking it will probably show dirt/oil residue way too easily.

bosamar

The glass on the Surface tablet is made of strong stuff. A simple regimen of daily/weekly cleaning will ensure smooth reliability and operation.

ArnoldC

Anyone with a colored touch cover want to chime in on the durability and cleanliness of the cover? Are they easy to clean? I kind of like the red one, but I'm thinking it will probably show dirt/oil residue way too easily.

Here is what I did with my Touch Cover-

IMAG0610_zps75a315b1.jpg

My Touch Cover cover, is a film of acetate that is used for old-school projection. I didn't need an adhesive because it "clings" to the Touch Cover.

vicbush

Here is what I did with my Touch Cover-

My Touch Cover cover, is a film of acetate that is used for old-school projection. I didn't need an adhesive because it "clings" to the Touch Cover.

Hey, that's interesting...is there a big impact on typing?

ArnoldC

Not for me. That's my concern as well, so when there was no impact, I went ahead.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express