Touch keyboard popping up after several minutes, partly locking Surface

Discussion in 'Surface Pro 6' started by Mastiff, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

My Device:
    Other
    Does anybody else have this? When I touch a text field of some type, the keyboard doesn't come up at once if it's been a while (hours) since I last used it. It takes several minutes, and during that time touch is partly not working. I can't click on web links, and I have to use the scroll bar to move down pages. Also I can't get the start menu up. This is bloody annoying stuff! Is there a fix? It has been this way for a long time. I had the same problem with my Surface Pro (5).

2. leerandall

leerandall New Member

My Device:
    Other
    Yes, I've had this happen with my SP6 as well a few times. There's nothing to do except wait for the touchscreen to become responsive again. For me, the wait time has been anywhere between a few seconds and about a minute.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

My Device:
    Other
    If it was only seconds to a minute it wouldn't be much of a problem, but as I asid it's a lot longer for me. I only use the touch keyboard maybe 2-3 times a week, so it will be days between use, but even when it's less then a day (usually around 20-something hours, I almost only use this when I'm reading in bed before I sleep but I go to sleep at different times) it can take that long.

4. Turbo4AWD

Turbo4AWD Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    Try entering the bios, then using the arrow keys on the keyboard to choose to boot to Windows. See if the issue returns.

5. Turbo4AWD

Turbo4AWD Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    NVM, new firmware came out and the changelog says "fixes Type Cover connection failures". Here's the changelog:

Surface Pro 6
    • Intel Corporation – Display – 24.20.100.6294: Improves system stability and performance.
    • Intel Corporation – Extension – 24.20.100.6293: Improves the stability and performance of the system.
    • Surface – Firmware – 239.2638.257.0: Improves battery stability, fixes CPU throttling at 400MHz and connection failure with the Type Cover.
    • Surface – System – 3.104.139.0: Improves display color.
    • Surface – System – 6.35.139.0: Improves the stability and performance of the system.

6. Turbo4AWD

Turbo4AWD Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    My Windows Update isn't picking it up yet, but I am sure it will soon. Maybe over the weekend the Firmware Update will be available for my Surface Pro 6. It's not even showing up in my history log either so I don't have the update yet.

7. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

My Device:
    Other
    Nothing helped, until yesterday, when I did the May update. Suddenly it seems the slowdown is gone. I don't much like the new "light" theme on the on screen keyboard, but I'm not touching it now that it works. ;)