What's new

TouchMe Gesture Control Studio - Configure your own finger swipe gestures

ybahman

It is not, according to the app listing.

That's right. This is really unfortunate. Trust me, it's not because I don't want to; I actually have a Surface RT. But the platform is locked down (and for good reason, WinRT is very secure) and so it's not possible to install the engine.

ybahman

Going to try it now.

Does this consume battery life to use?

Like any application that runs on the processor, it will inevitably consume some power. However, I've done my best to make it both memory and CPU efficient. The whole is thing is event driven, so it only runs gesture analysis when you're touching the screen. Also, there are absolutely no floating point calculations so it's very light on the CPU.

All in all, you shouldn't experience any impact on your battery life. =]

Last edited:

ybahman

I passed this along to several windows news sites, and not one has bothered to mention this app (yet they keep posting yet another photo editing app), which is the only app I know of that allows you to configure touch control. One particular gesture I love is a 5 finger swipe left/right that snaps an app to the side, which is much more convenient then tapping to the left side and dragging the app, holding it there for 2 seconds, etc.

I can't tell you HOW MUCH I appreciate you doing that. Thank you!

Last edited:

pezlin

That's right. This is really unfortunate. Trust me, it's not because I don't want to; I actually have a Surface RT. But the platform is locked down (and for good reason, WinRT is very secure) and so it's not possible to install the engine.

ok, thanks for the info. Hopefully MS open up RT a bit or they pick up the feature and include it in future releases.

Deihmos

I don't know about you but tapatalk makes it so easy to view multiple forums and see what's new, check replies or new posts. This forum does not have it but every single other forum that I visit supports tapatalk. I have to do too many clicking around on some of these forums.

dRuEFFECT

Hmmm... I don't know why that might be happening. Maybe you have some security restrictions in place? You can also try downloading it directly from http://downloads.yasharbahman.com/TouchMe/InstallMe.exe

Let me know if that works for you, if it doesn't I'll definitely help until we figure it out =]

I figured it out. I think malwarebytes was blocking some access to that for some reason. I just disabled it. Thanks though!

ybahman

I figured it out. I think malwarebytes was blocking some access to that for some reason. I just disabled it. Thanks though!

That's odd... Thanks for the heads up. Did the page not load at all? or did it load and the download just didn't start?

If it's the latter, feel like I should put some info on the page noting to disable malwarebytes if it doesn't work (but that's the sketchiest thing in the world to say =] )

beq

Thank you for a great app, I'd also purchased. Anyone want to share your list of gestures, or do you all use the author's faves?

I probably don't have the memory or hand dexterity to use all the possible gestures, so I use a simplified set. Even then I had conflicting impulses based on what might make sense, vs motions I'm already used to on smartphone/tablet apps...

For now I settled on:

2-finger up/down to show/hide touch keyboard, left/right to browse forward/back

3-finger pinch in to close browser tab, pinch out for new tab

3-finger left/right to go to next/previous tab, down to refresh tab

4 & 5 finger left/right, all to toggle rotation lock (heh)

4 & 5 finger up/down to turn brightness up/down

4 & 5 finger pinch in to show Alt-Tab task switcher, pinch out to show desktop

At first I had the left swipes to correspond to the browser back/previous functions, but after actually using I realized I needed to reverse that, doh...

I'd flip-flopped on using down vs up swipes to close tabs vs opening new ones, so I skirted the issue. Obviously we close metro apps by swiping down from top to bottom of screen. But iOS 7 uses the webOS style card view task management where we swipe up to close an app...

Similarly couldn't decide between pinch in vs pinch out for which actions.

I gave up on 3-5 finger tip-taps (especially tip-tap right) after struggling with them :) And I just duplicated the 4 and 5 finger gestures so I don't have to worry about how many fingers actually hit the screen at once (with any consistency).

I excluded "show start screen" since the SP2 already has the home button, ditto for the volume control. The grab window and metro app positioning would be nice, but ran out of free gestures...

P.S. Just curious, the TouchMe metro app is said to be able to use any gesture engine. Are there any others out there, and how would they be different than the one from the author's website?

Last edited: