What's new

Solved Touchpad SO finicky

ElectricHops

I was so excited to dump my macbook air for the SB and I've been mostly happy with the decision. My biggest gripe is that the keyboard and touchpad randomly stop working.

Does anyone else have the following issue? When placing two fingers on the touchpad to scroll, there is a delay in the start of the scrolling. This doesn't always occur, but probably 20% of the time there will be a touchpad delay when lightly sliding two fingers up or down.

mtmowl

Yes, the same frustrating problem. I go from no response to zooming past the target in the blink of an eye.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
That's not good, and not the way it should be working for you.
I use my MacBook Retina 15 computers as often as the Surface Book. Response on both is perfect.

So let's try to get you some help.
What version of Windows 10 are you running (Settings, System, About).

I am running:
Windows 10
Version 1511
OS Build 10586.36

Mouse and touchpad Settings:
Screenshot (1).png

I have an issue where taps to click don't register. It generally happens on links in web browsers. If I tap off the link on something like text then click back on the link, it works. Fully pressing the touchpad always works as a click, but taps are another story...

Edit: I should mention this happens far more often in Chrome. In happens once in a while in Edge.

Last edited:

mtmowl

That's not good, and not the way it should be working for you.
I use my MacBook Retina 15 computers as often as the Surface Book. Response on both is perfect.

So let's try to get you some help.
What version of Windows 10 are you running (Settings, System, About).

I am running:
Windows 10
Version 1511
OS Build 10586.36

Mouse and touchpad Settings:View attachment 7697

Thanks. I'm running the same on a WB i5/8/256. The scrolling seems to have a delay before moving, especially the upon first touch. I'm guessing that's the nature of the device, though. The real problem seems to be that the two-finger scrolling switches into pinch-to-zoom all too easily, and I'm forever trying to resize the screen. Any ideas on a remedy? I'm already trying to keep my two fingers side-by-side to control any pinching. Maybe a sensitivity setting?

Thanks again.

Here's my touchpad info:

upload_2015-12-31_7-4-17.png
upload_2015-12-31_7-4-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-31_7-18-12.png
    upload_2015-12-31_7-18-12.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 450

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. I'm running the same on a WB i5/8/256. The scrolling seems to have a delay before moving, especially the upon first touch. I'm guessing that's the nature of the device, though. The real problem seems to be that the two-finger scrolling switches into pinch-to-zoom all too easily, and I'm forever trying to resize the screen. Any ideas on a remedy? I'm already trying to keep my two fingers side-by-side to control any pinching. Maybe a sensitivity setting?

Thanks again.

Here's my touchpad info:

View attachment 7702 View attachment 7703
Try matching my settings, and see if you still have the same problem.

mtmowl

Even with matching settings, I still get unpredictable pinch/zooming. Can that be set to a lower sensitivity somewhere?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What app are you scrolling? Edge Browser? Try other apps and programs to see if the same issue exists.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using Firefox. Just reading around, it seems a lot of people have the same "zooming" problem.

Ahhh.
The problem is Firefox.
Just verified that on my own Surface Book.

Try another app like Wordpad or Notepad or Edge Browser. You should not see this problem.

Niterider4

I have the same issue with scrolling in Firefox. Sometimes when I scroll with two fingers, there is a delay and I have to try again. Not sure if it happens in other programs - I'll have to see.

mtmowl

Ahhh.
The problem is Firefox.
Just verified that on my own Surface Book.

Try another app like Wordpad or Notepad or Edge Browser. You should not see this problem.
That's it. I checked it out on Edge, and find scrolling much smoother and controllable. I might switch everything to Edge until Mozilla gets Firefox straightened out.

Thanks again.