What's new

Touchpad vs laptop touchpad

spinachpie

I just used my old laptop for a few minutes (in order to test all was well before selling it) and the touchpad was so much smoother. I didn't realise just how much more fiddly the SP3 touchpad was in comparison.

It's only a Lenovo U410 with Intel core i3 but the touchpad was smooth, responsive and didn't fiddle when selecting.

It kind of made me re-think selling the laptop.

The touchpad really needs to be re-thought and improved if MS really wants to bill this as a complete laptop replacement.

Love my SP3, but it has given me food for thought before switching completely to the SP3

Last edited:
Agreed. I never use the trackpad, and actually turn it off so I don't accidentally touch it. 2-finger scrolling is a nightmare, and for basic cursor positioning, I prefer to use the pen. Having said that, it's 10x better than the older trackpad, but actual laptop trackpads, are also 10x better, so MS is 50% there :p

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know it makes me very weird....but since the first RT with the Touch Cover, I've enjoyed using the Touch Pads on the Surface Line, I use the one on my SP3 98% of the time. The only time I use an External Mouse is when I'm in portrait mode with an extended desktop...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just used my old laptop for a few minutes (in order to test all was well before selling it) and the touchpad was so much smoother. I didn't realise just how much more fiddly the SP3 touchpad was in comparison.

It's only a Lenovo U410 with Intel core i3 but the touchpad was smooth, responsive and didn't fiddle when selecting.

The touchpad really needs to be re-thought and improved if MS really wants to bill this as a complete laptop replacement.

Love my SP3, but it has given me food for thought before switching completely to the SP3
Maybe the U410 was different but I never found a laptop or Windows touchpad that didn't suck. Thank Lenovo for the PointingStick!

SRVwannab

When I stopped using the touchpad, my satisfaction with the SP3 Dramatically improved. Not because it was that bad, just because it wasn't good enough for me not to notice that it wasn't all the way there.

For me, my Dell Travel Mouse it a wonderful accessory to my SP3. Because my work computer is Windows-operated with a mouse, my brain associates a mouse with Windows. I've never even bothered to pair a mouse to any of my MacBooks, but, with my SP3- I love it.

bluegrass

I haven't got one of my many laptop users that use the trackpad. They all carry a mouse with them on the road and of course never use the trackpad in the office.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sacrilege or not...the only trackpad that I use on a consistent basis is the one on my MacBook Pro.
The only one I use is on my MBA but only running OSX the driver they made for Windows under Bootcamp is horrible and otherwise it barely works at all so I just use a mouse.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Track pad on my old macbook pro was unbelievable. Windows laptops don't compare to the mac track pads from what I have seen. Still the lenovo track pad was so much better, which I guess says something about the SP3.

I would be more inclined to using a mouse but I often have my SP3 on my lap and therefore have to use the track pad.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Type Cover 3 touchpad is not bad as touchpads go but I wish it was a bit taller, to me that would make a lot of difference. I would trade the space they used for elevation on the Type Cover 3 for more touchpad space in a heartbeat.

malberttoo

I don't find the touchpad awful per se, but yeah there are a few laptops I've used that have a much better experience. 2-finger scrolling on the SP3 only works perfectly (for me) dead center of the pad. The closer I get to the sides, the poorer the 2-finger response gets.

InspectHerGadget

The SP3 trackpad is pretty good. It isn't as good as a really good laptop one such as the MacBook MBA but then that is the gold standard for trackpads.

Overall it is fine though. I have a Surface Mouse but I tend not to use it as it is just one more thing to forget when I'm out. It tends therefore not to get used. The keyboard again isn't as good as my MacBook but then the SP3 runs my Microsoft programs and I can write on the screen.