What's new

Touchscreen Calibration problem?

mohcho

The new unit is working perfectly. If you are having the same issues as I had with the screen, I would get an exchange asap.

Kris

have the same exact issue. after a couple resets it goes away for a little bit but once I start using it more and more the dead area comes back. I showed my girlfriend by trying to move an icon from the right side of the desktop to the trash can and it was like it hit a barrier... she said it could make a fun game... makes me more inclined to exchange this one out, damn but that would be my fourth SP3. I have the absolute worst luck when it comes to getting electronics.

jpfive

I exchanged the unit yesterday. Problem solved. Thanks

Not so fast <sigh>... I have the same pointer problem on the new unit - started after activating the pen. Oh, and I am using the Type keyboard. I lose the pointer arrow, and the touchpad will sometimes retrieve it, sometimes not. It buries itself in the top left corner - with a blinking little star - and of course the touchpad gets very slow and flaky as well. Another recovery retrieved it, but I have removed the battery from the pen, turned Bluetooth off and removed the pen. If the problem comes back I am returning the unit and will wait for the 4. I love the SP3 otherwise, but I expect it to work - I am used to and prefer keyboard and touchpad. Jack

steve99

Hi I have the same issue, intermittent dead spot top left of the screen, always fixed by a reboot. Theory: somehow related to the type cover, when closed the dead spot is exactly aligned to a rectangular patch to the left of the trackpad and below the keyboard where it touches the screen? Also I only ever see it after charging overnight with the type cover on and closed. Could be wrong, I'm going to test these theories.

malberttoo

Hi I have the same issue, intermittent dead spot top left of the screen, always fixed by a reboot. Theory: somehow related to the type cover, when closed the dead spot is exactly aligned to a rectangular patch to the left of the trackpad and below the keyboard where it touches the screen? Also I only ever see it after charging overnight with the type cover on and closed. Could be wrong, I'm going to test these theories.

Hmmm... I believe that exact spot on the TypeCover is where the circuit board is.

Edit- Welcome to the forum by the way!

Last edited:

malberttoo

Ok I think I was wrong, opposite side of the keyboard.

Check out the video below, @ about 6:30

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/i-didnt-know-that-the-sp3-was-water-cooled.11233/#post-85739

steve99

Thanks that's a great video. The "honeycomb plastic grid" embedded in the left side of the type cover is about the right size of the intermittent dead spot on my Surface, when the cover is touching the screen. Why this would possibly cause the issue I have no idea.

I've done two tests charging without the type cover on and no dead spot so far. More tests to follow...

steve99

Just tested by charging for 30 minutes with type cover on and closed, and I got the dead spot right away...

steve99

Tested with type cover on but folded back (away from screen) while charging, and no dead spot. One test isn't enough to prove anything though. Can anyone else test?

mohcho

Interesting. When I was having problems with my first one, I had the keyboard down and was charging without the type cover touching the screen. Sounds like you're inferring that the electronics in the type cover is causing issues with the screen?

Does the dead spot only happen with the touchpad and mouse movement? Does it respond to touch input or pen input in the dead spot?

steve99

Hi, yes that is my theory. Could be the touchpad in contact with the touch screen, it slightly overlaps the dead spot. No issues with pen or mouse. I've recorded a video: