What's new

Touchscreen not responding in Virtual Machine

clemgrad85

I've had my SP2 since early Feb of this year and really like it. All is working well in the Windows 8.1 mode whether in or out of the docking station and whether in tablet or laptop mode. Where issues have popped up recently is when I go into my companies Virtual Machine mode via Windows 7. It actually works fine when in the docking station. I would normally not use the touch screen when in the docking station but I checked it and it works fine. The problem occurs when out of the docking station. The responsiveness is horrible, in fact, almost non-existent. I put it back in the docking station and all works fine. I will add, since getting my SP2, I have done ALL regular updates but NONE of the firmware update. Seems like there were so many issues with the firmware updates I decided to skip them until I found them necessary. I'm now wondering if these touchscreen issues are now occurring because I haven't done the firmware updates. Anyone else heard of this issue? Thanks in advance.

jrapdx

I've had my SP2 since early Feb of this year and really like it. All is working well in the Windows 8.1 mode whether in or out of the docking station and whether in tablet or laptop mode. Where issues have popped up recently is when I go into my companies Virtual Machine mode via Windows 7. It actually works fine when in the docking station. I would normally not use the touch screen when in the docking station but I checked it and it works fine. The problem occurs when out of the docking station. The responsiveness is horrible, in fact, almost non-existent. I put it back in the docking station and all works fine. I will add, since getting my SP2, I have done ALL regular updates but NONE of the firmware update. Seems like there were so many issues with the firmware updates I decided to skip them until I found them necessary. I'm now wondering if these touchscreen issues are now occurring because I haven't done the firmware updates. Anyone else heard of this issue? Thanks in advance.

A couple of comments. I've used Hyper-V on my SP2 since I've had it--Dec 2013. Not used touchscreen very often with the OS since running FreeBSD in the VM more than other OS. However, touchscreen does work to extent expected. Touch is handy to pop out of the VM (vs. Ctl-Alt-BSpace) or into it.

No idea why the difference with being docked or not. When plugged in, I tend to use High Performance power profile because Hyper-V can be resource demanding. Don't know if that has anything to do with your situation.

Again don't know if it would cure your problem, but I see no reason not to apply the firmware upgrades. AFAIK, there have been no firmware "disasters" since Feb, and it is possible your SP2 might benefit by applying the updates. At this point my SP2 is fully updated re: firmware, hardware and Win8.1 drivers. Some SP2 problems have actually been fixed, and I have that much less to complain about. We certainly should call that a Good Thing...

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

Thanks for the comments.... perhaps I will do the latest firmware and see what happens. I know it will also do all previous firmware updates as well when doing the most recent one. Seems like only some had big problems anyway.... might get the nerve to do that today.

GoodBytes

Thanks for the comments.... perhaps I will do the latest firmware and see what happens. I know it will also do all previous firmware updates as well when doing the most recent one. Seems like only some had big problems anyway.... might get the nerve to do that today.

Be sure to be plugged in, with a full charged battery and keyboard connected and open, before installing it.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

Be sure to be plugged in, with a full charged battery and keyboard connected and open, before installing it.

By "plugged in", do you mean being in the docking station with the keyboard attached, or outside the docking station and the cord plugged into the SP2 with the keyboard attached?

GoodBytes

By "plugged in", do you mean being in the docking station with the keyboard attached, or outside the docking station and the cord plugged into the SP2 with the keyboard attached?

I mean, whatever way you want, as long as your Surface Pro is not on battery.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

Okay.....did the Firmware upgrade this afternoon and so far I see no odd issues. However, I still have the same issue when I go into the Virtual Machine that uses Windows 7. The touch screen just sucks in that mode. Again, all is great when in the Windows 8.1 mode, but when not in the docking station, the touch screen is next to impossible to work with. Quite strange. Was hoping the firmware updates would fix it.....grrrrrr.

GoodBytes

Okay.....did the Firmware upgrade this afternoon and so far I see no odd issues. However, I still have the same issue when I go into the Virtual Machine that uses Windows 7. The touch screen just sucks in that mode. Again, all is great when in the Windows 8.1 mode, but when not in the docking station, the touch screen is next to impossible to work with. Quite strange. Was hoping the firmware updates would fix it.....grrrrrr.

You still haven't told us, which VM you are using. So I would say, change VM.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

You still haven't told us, which VM you are using. So I would say, change VM.

Well, it is VMware Player version 6.0.1. This is provided by my employer and so I will not be able to change the VM. I have complete control over what is in the Windows 8.1 part, but am limited to what I can change inside "the bubble" (the VM). Just odd that the touchscreen inside the VW was working fine until about 3 weeks ago. Oh well, maybe it will magically start working again just as it magically stopped working.....time will tell. But thanks anyway for your help....I at least did get caught up on the firmware and so far (knock on wood) no odd issues....other than my keyboard backlit function seems to not be working.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

I did finally do the firmware updates, but a couple of days after doing those a System Hardware Update 6/10/14 popped up. Any issues with that or is it a pretty safe update?

GoodBytes

It's update to drivers. I haven't dig to know which it is for which one.
Apply it. It may fix issues with Intel graphics solution or something else.