Toyota Confirms: Li-Ion Batteries Have a “Memory Effect” (May 3, 2013)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by oion, Nov 11, 2013.

1. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    I'm posting this in off-topic only because this applies to pretty much all tech that use batteries these days, and it's useful to know. This article describes a paper that was published in Nature just this year and overturns a long-standing assumption about Li-on battery technology.

Toyota Confirms: Li-Ion Batteries Have a “Memory Effect” | Pocketnow

Check out the refs:
    http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/v12/n6/full/nmat3623.html
    Memory effect now also found in lithium-ion batteries

Note: The practical problem is what "sufficiently long period of time" and "every once in a while" really means.

1 person likes this.
  2. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Very interesting! Thanks for posting! Aside from the obvious implications on the technologies that we surround ourselves with on a daily basis, there are some very interesting speculative-philosophical issues too that can be mined from this!

Now, does this put to rest the usual stuff that we read about how to treat the battery problem? I am not sure. Unless, of course, this is peer-tested and confirmed by other labs.

3. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    I suppose we can wait for more testing, but this is certainly peer-reviewed:

Nature Materials 12, 569–575 (2013) doi:10.1038/nmat3623
    Received 11 April 2012 Accepted 06 March 2013 Published online 14 April 2013

The reason why the topic is particularly important to Toyota, the authors, is due to hybrid technologies. Those batteries are not cheap to replace.

Edit to add before I forget:

I think the next step is to test lithium ion polymer batteries. The Pocketnow article mentions polymer but not the Phys.org one, but I don't know practical implications would arise from that difference. So I wouldn't say the Toyota labs study puts all the controversy to rest, but it definitely debunks a long-standing assumption about lithium ion batteries.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013