What's new

Trackpad gesture issue after February update

GoodBytes

Hmm works fine for me. Did you try and restart your computer?
Does it happen when you do Win+Tab as well?

OP
S

S-tension

Well yes restarting fixes the issue but it will probably come back. Overall gestures got worse after the update.

GoodBytes

Ok dude, you just got a Windows bug, calm down.
When it will come back again, then we will see (my guess it's a software you installed that screwed up Windows that specific time).

It works fine for everyone.

Last edited:

DNP

For me, I wouldn't say the touchpad issues have become worse after the Feb update; however, it still didn't seem to resolve the issues related to losing the type cover connectivity and then needing to use the detach/reattach feature. That feature-problem-bug needs some attention before the hinges on type covers wear out.

GoodBytes

DNP did you try replacing your keyboard? It could be faulty.
For me it only happened once... but I am still debating if it was a miss snap in situation, as I can't replicate the issue.
And device manager did have a "!" mark on the Type Cover 2.

DNP

Hello GoodBytes...yes, I returned my first Type Cover 2, but the second one has the same enhanced feature. I've also "tested" several other SP2's with Type Cover 2's and was able to replicate one particular power setting configuration that will disable the touchpad (or re-enable the feature...whichever way MS wants to look at these things). The techs agreed that it's a problem and may be driver related? If you want you can give the following a shot to see if you have the same results:

1) In the desktop mode open the Internet Explorer and confirm the touchpad gestures are working correctly by using the two-finger scroll or swipe-in from the right side to show the charms (if the touchpad gestures are not working detach and reattach the keyboard and redo step #1). I also have the page scrolling reversed so that should also be operating correctly.
2) When the touchpad gestures are working correctly go to Control Panel>Power Options.
3) Select “Choose what closing the lid does”.
4) Set “When I close the lid” to “Do Nothing” for when Plugged In.
5) Save the selected power options.
6) Plug-in the Surface (if not already).
7) Close the Type Cover 2 and leave closed for a few moments (about 10 seconds or more). The Surface should not go into Sleep mode.
8) Open the Type Cover 2 to reactivate the keyboard.
9) Open Internet Explorer and check if the touchpad gestures are operating correctly or have been disabled.
10) If the touchpad gestures are not working correctly detach and reattach the keyboard.
11) The touchpad gestures should now be reactivated.

I had thought this had been resolved after the Feb. patch, but it still works this way for me. Unfortunately, this is currently the way I would like to have the power settings configured.

Thanks for the interest.

GoodBytes

Aha I see. The scrolling still works, but not the left and right gestures (which I have disabled normally, but did not for this test).
Interesting.

kundas1

Ok dude, you just got a Windows bug, calm down.
When it will come back again, then we will see (my guess it's a software you installed that screwed up Windows that specific time).

It works fine for everyone.

why are you telling him to calm down? his post isn't over dramatic or anything.... lol what am I missing?

kundas1

I don't see how you perceive that, but ok lol amazing how we perceive things differently on the web lol

bluegrass

Get a Bluetooth mouse. That will solve all the issues with the touchpad. I support quite a few user with touchpads on their laptops and none of them who travel would consider using the touch pad. They all carry mice. Me too.