What's new

Trade in SP2 for money off a SP3?

Nick K

I purchased a Surface Pro 2 at the turn of the new year, however the Surface Pro 3 has now been announced and I would absolutely love to upgrade to the beautiful new device. Does anybody know if Microsoft, or any other UK retailers will offer a trade in program to trade in my Surface Pro 2 and Type Cover 2 to get money off a Surface Pro 3? Did anywhere in the UK do this for the release of the Surface Pro 2?

I could of course sell on my Surface Pro 2 however that is a really big hassle and a trade in program would be fantastic.

kristalsoldier

Highly unlikely! On the other hand, I wonder if MS will be offering discounts for "academia - students and faculty". I hope they do.

eltos_lightfoot

Depending on the model you purchased, don't underestimate eBay as an option. I checked and prices haven't dropped much. Bad for me, possibly good for you...

mtalinm

Sure they did. I traded in my 1st-gen SP and accessories for about 50% of value toward the purchase of an SP2. You can probably get a better deal on eBay, but it was super-easy and kept my receipt under $1000. This was at the Boston Microsoft store.

CrippsCorner

They didn't do this anywhere in the UK, and I doubt they will this time around... they'd probably give you a crap price anyway. If you don't want to use eBay, try CEX if your machine is mint.

fonzman78

Sure they did. I traded in my 1st-gen SP and accessories for about 50% of value toward the purchase of an SP2. You can probably get a better deal on eBay, but it was super-easy and kept my receipt under $1000. This was at the Boston Microsoft store.

Yep, I was able to trade my SPro1 for the SPro2. I didn't get much ($375ish) and I probably could've gotten a hundred more or so off EBay but it was hassle free. This time around I will probably reach out to my peers first. They weren't happy that I didn't give them first dibs. I already have a peer asking me if I'm going to get the SPro3 (already pre-ordered) and if I will sell him my Spro2.