What's new

Transfer from SP4 to SP2017

AJNightOwl

Has anyone got any advice on how to transfer programs and data from the C drive of the Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to a newer SP2017? I have tried a number of options but what I am struggling with is whether to just copy across the C drive or whether to copy the (GPT) System area as well. The question is what is in the System area that is required on the SP17? I get the fact that the C drive should have all the programs and (SP4) drivers (that will require updating once the SP17 boots up (or if I can stop it at that point I could update everything with the MS driver package downloaded and sitting on the C drive - brought across from the SP4).

It is not clear to me what is actually held in the System (UEFI) area - I expect this is the "boot" area to get the SP17 up and going, and therefore should not need to be overwritten (from the SP4) - the SP17 then boots and loads the Registry from the (SP4) C drive.

Any thoughts?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just use OneDrive to store my data and start fresh....I keep very little locally. The SP4 and SP 2017 are very different from a core Haedware perspective and I would attempt drive cloaning personally.

Plantje

What are you trying to accomplish? I would recommend using OneDrive as well. Local storage should only be used for redundant storage

OP
AJNightOwl

AJNightOwl

My SP4 is being replaced by MS because it has failed - can't display a monitor off the Surface Dock (I have 3 now), nor is the S Dock able to connect to external USB 2 or 3 hard drives. The problem began at the 21/7/17 mandatory update - changed Intel chipset video drivers on SP4 but they are not the same for the S Dock. It has taken me months to sort this mess out. Finally MS agreed to replace SP4 and I chose to upgrade to SP17 (for extra $$$). However I have lots of programs set up on the SP4 (some which I cannot get the install files for again as they were only available free for a limited time). Therefore I want to transfer all installed programs over, as they are currently set up, (essentially as a disk image) to the SP17. I have tried repeatedly with EaseUS Todo Backup but haven't been successful yet as the process fails at the transfer of the System area (I am sure this is the GPT/UEFI area) which theoretically shouldn't need to be transferred. Before you think this can't be done I have checked the procedure with MS Support a number of times and have had confirmation that once the SP4 system is transferred onto the SP17 and started, the SP17 will "repair" any drivers that are not correct, or the MS provided SP17 driver pack can be downloaded on the SP4 before the transfer and then updated on the SP17 once it has booted up.

So as you can see the data is not the real problem as that can be backed up and restored. Imaging the C drive is not a problem but when transferring onto the SP17 the System area is the problem area that fails. Some background notes: the same version of Win 10 exists on both SPs and as the SP4 has mandatory Bitlocker applied, the backup imaging unlocks the files and you are warned that the files are unlocked. On the SP17 the C drive area has to be formatted (as it is also Bitlocked and won't allow an overwrite) and the incoming transfer needs to have clear space to deposit the transferring C drive. I don't want to overwrite the "Recovery Partition" on the SP17 (even though I could download this also from the MS site as both SP serial numbers are registered there and I have a backed image for the SP17 and WinPE recovery USB media should anything go wrong....).

As you can see this is quite a "technical" issue and I am hoping that someone with the appropriate technical expertise can assist :).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My SP4 is being replaced by MS because it has failed - can't display a monitor off the Surface Dock (I have 3 now), nor is the S Dock able to connect to external USB 2 or 3 hard drives. The problem began at the 21/7/17 mandatory update - changed Intel chipset video drivers on SP4 but they are not the same for the S Dock. It has taken me months to sort this mess out. Finally MS agreed to replace SP4 and I chose to upgrade to SP17 (for extra $$$). However I have lots of programs set up on the SP4 (some which I cannot get the install files for again as they were only available free for a limited time). Therefore I want to transfer all installed programs over, as they are currently set up, (essentially as a disk image) to the SP17. I have tried repeatedly with EaseUS Todo Backup but haven't been successful yet as the process fails at the transfer of the System area (I am sure this is the GPT/UEFI area) which theoretically shouldn't need to be transferred. Before you think this can't be done I have checked the procedure with MS Support a number of times and have had confirmation that once the SP4 system is transferred onto the SP17 and started, the SP17 will "repair" any drivers that are not correct, or the MS provided SP17 driver pack can be downloaded on the SP4 before the transfer and then updated on the SP17 once it has booted up.

So as you can see the data is not the real problem as that can be backed up and restored. Imaging the C drive is not a problem but when transferring onto the SP17 the System area is the problem area that fails. Some background notes: the same version of Win 10 exists on both SPs and as the SP4 has mandatory Bitlocker applied, the backup imaging unlocks the files and you are warned that the files are unlocked. On the SP17 the C drive area has to be formatted (as it is also Bitlocked and won't allow an overwrite) and the incoming transfer needs to have clear space to deposit the transferring C drive. I don't want to overwrite the "Recovery Partition" on the SP17 (even though I could download this also from the MS site as both SP serial numbers are registered there and I have a backed image for the SP17 and WinPE recovery USB media should anything go wrong....).

As you can see this is quite a "technical" issue and I am hoping that someone with the appropriate technical expertise can assist :).
Oh - I know how to do it but it is not for the faint of heart - I would normally use DISM and the Windows AIK - but for end users this might be your best bet - Laplink's PCmover Express | Transfer Files from PC to PC | Windows XP, 7 or 8.1 to 10

Plantje

Yes, it is a pretty technical issue. And it is only caused because some nitwit thought of protecting their software by having the installation files only available for a limited timespan. I know it is not helping you, but sorry...that's really stupid!
I hope you manage to get it done. Can't you convince the people providing you the software to allow you to get the installation files for some more time? Or isn't there a descent alternative? If you are that dependent of a specific system that is really very tricky!

OP
AJNightOwl

AJNightOwl

Hi Jeff - after looking into all the AIK/ADT options (and DISM) I can't see how these tools will provide a solution for my situation. I got pretty close to a positive outcome using EaseUS Todo Backup by cloning the SP4 disk, booting off the ext HDD drive (which had the cloned drive) and got Win 10 up, but then the Op Sys detected a problem and did a "Stop Boot" (can't remember the last of it) and halted the system. Somehow it altered information back on the source (boot external) drive and left me hanging.

I have spoken to the Laplink people and that sounds promising. I am about to try that, but if you can let me know if you have had specific success with transferring the Op Sys, installed programs, their program data and files across to another computer without having to reinstall software and alter configuration/set ups, let me know how you did it and I'll look into - thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jeff - after looking into all the AIK/ADT options (and DISM) I can't see how these tools will provide a solution for my situation. I got pretty close to a positive outcome using EaseUS Todo Backup by cloning the SP4 disk, booting off the ext HDD drive (which had the cloned drive) and got Win 10 up, but then the Op Sys detected a problem and did a "Stop Boot" (can't remember the last of it) and halted the system. Somehow it altered information back on the source (boot external) drive and left me hanging.

I have spoken to the Laplink people and that sounds promising. I am about to try that, but if you can let me know if you have had specific success with transferring the Op Sys, installed programs, their program data and files across to another computer without having to reinstall software and alter configuration/set ups, let me know how you did it and I'll look into - thanks.
With the Enterprise Tools from MS you would create a WIM file of your SP4 (don't sysprep it) and then you would apply that WIM file to your new device. You would need a large Bootable USB Drive.

OP
AJNightOwl

AJNightOwl

I am pretty technically capable - I would like to try and sort this out - I have just tried using a cloning package, bootable ext USB HDD and "boot immediate" to boot from the ext HDD but this failed with a Win 10 "Stop Boot". So I am a little unsure using Diskpart and DISM to create a .wim file will get me over the line either - have you had success with this process?

OP
AJNightOwl

AJNightOwl

Okay, I see - the WinPE needs to be on the ext USB HDD drive which is going to save the .wim file there - I think I have it - thanks for the tip about not Sysprepping - will let you know.

Last edited: